Gas Tank

RQB1820

Good morning all. I've been tearing down the car and finally got the gas tank out. It's not in bad shape but needs to have a thick layer of varnish removed from the bottom - (have chain and cleaner). One problem though was that when I put a wrench on the bottom gas feed elbow to remove it, the whole bung came off with it. I didn't put that much effort into twisting the elbow, I don't think it was brazed on too well to begin with.

Anyway... nobody locally seems at all interested in re-brazing the bung onto the tank. In lieu of not finding someone that can do it.... suggestions?

Anyone having luck with JB Weld?

Thx, Brad

As much as I like and use JB Weld, I would not trust it with 15+ gallons of gas above it in my garage!! It could mean that that area was corroded so I'd try to find a gas tank Renew or some one else like them.

IIWM, I'd cut out that portion of the tank and after mucho venting and filling, weld in a small bottom section with a new bung installed.

You can still find good used, new or stainless tanks available if so inclined. Bob

Edited by Avanti83

Anyway... nobody locally seems at all interested in re-brazing the bung onto the tank. In lieu of not finding someone that can do it.... suggestions?

Anyone having luck with JB Weld?

Thx, Brad

Is their concern that the tank could explode or is the tank just in a really corroded condition? Have you tried the local radiator repair shops?

Seems to me there's not much danger if the tank is thoroughly cleaned (and perhaps coated internally), then turned upside down and filled with water before brazing the fitting back in,

I had a gas tank rebuilder in Pa. repair and coat my tank internally and externally a few years ago. It was a couple of hundred dollars. They can restore a tank in any condition (even essentially rusted away). I don't remember their name but I found them through an online search for gas tank rebuilding.

chuck

RQB-3553

Thanks. For some reason the "standard reply" I've gotten from the three places I contacted locally was "Our insurance won't allow..." Anyway, The tank is in pretty good shape really. Only the varnish on the bottom needs to be cleaned, and the bung re-brazed onto the bottom. It doesn't seem weak at all... the bung and plate just popped off when I twisted the elbow to get it out.

I have a couple more shops to call, after that..... hmmm

Brad,

I had same problem with my tank and did not want to buy new. I could find no shop willing to weld it. I finally practiced-up on a scrap metal and brazed it myself. Later I did find shops (smaller) that would. The main thing for safety is FILL it with water (no voids), vapors explode, liquids do not.

In past years I have seen 100,000+ gallon gasoline storage tank leaks welded while full of gasoline, the liquid gasoline flashes off and burns as the weld bead is laid down.

Joe