Chicken Or The Avanti?

mfg

Deluxe. Another interesting question would be the numbers of Deluxe versus Regal interiors.

Studebaker production data counts 537 deluxe interiors, 3295 Regal interiors and 2 Special interiors for the '63Avanti. Additionally two '64 Avanti's were built with Deluxe interiors. These cars were built prior to the discontinuation of the deluxe option in September of '63. That leaves approximately 809 '64 Avanti's with Regal interiors. There has always been a discrepancy as to the total Studebaker Avanti's produced, 4,641, 4,647, etc.

At least one of the prototype cars had pleated upholstery that was different...both vertical pleats and horizontal pleats front and rear to test its visual appearance. I would think it was changed prior to being released for retail sale when brought up to current standards after production ceased.

Studebaker production data counts 537 deluxe interiors, 3295 Regal interiors and 2 Special interiors for the '63Avanti. Additionally two '64 Avanti's were built with Deluxe interiors. These cars were built prior to the discontinuation of the deluxe option in September of '63. That leaves approximately 809 '64 Avanti's with Regal interiors. There has always been a discrepancy as to the total Studebaker Avanti's produced, 4,641, 4,647, etc.

You come up with 4643 if you go by the initial run of Serial Numbers up to the end of production. You have 4647 if you add in the early EX---- cars that got later Serial Numbers and were sold as new cars.

Edited by studegary

Which one is more comfortable, the perforated Delux or the pleated Regal? I would think the Delux but I haven't spent enough time is either interior in good shape (mine's Delux and the front seats are pretty rough).

Which one is more comfortable, the perforated Delux or the pleated Regal? I would think the Delux but I haven't spent enough time is either interior in good shape (mine's Delux and the front seats are pretty rough).

I haven't a clue which style is actually more comfortable, but I'd guess Studebaker offered the Avanti 'Regal' interior for a richer look.

It would have been nice if a 'full leather' option was also available on the Stude Avanti!

I think that it was more a matter of looks than comfort.

IMO, no 1963 Avanti seats are comfortable (especially for back support). I have driven thousands of miles in 1963 Avantis and my 1963 Studebaker Daytona Wagonaire with factory bucket seats (simlar to those in my 1964 Hawk). At least to me, those Wagonaire buckets were much more comfortable/supportive that the Avanti seats.

My 1964 Avanti seats were a little better than my 1963 Avanti's seats. Neither would hold a candle to the seats in my 1987 Avanti (and many other cars, including from the 1960s, like my 1967 Imperial Crown Coupe).

Keep in mind that the design for those 1963 Avanti seats was "lifted/stolen" from a small European sports car (which one does not immediately come to mind).

The seats Avanti Motors installed...they called them "Command Center" seats...were nothing more than the Studebaker seat with a higher backrest...sucked as well. I found a set of Recaro seats from a later Avanti that was parted out, had them reupholstered and have never looked back. They are without doubt the most comfortable and supportive seats I've ever sat in in any car. They may be old school...mechanical adjustments rather than power...but that's no problem.