Front indicators smaller on 63?

mtgibby

Hi, I'm still going through all the boxes of parts on my new acquisition (63R-2303). I have found quite a few used and NOS amber and clear lenses, all of which appear too long and too wide for my front turn signal/parking light holes.

From glancing at on line catalogs, I assume the 63 had smaller front indicators?

If I can't locate a pair, can I borrow one to make a mould and casting?

post-12525-0-43023200-1441997042_thumb.jpg

Earlier '63s had a pocket formed into the fender and a somewhat smaller lens with chromed edging. That was replaced by a chromed assembly that mounted into the front panel and held by j-shaped hooks tightened from the back. Nothing is really interchangeable between the two styles. The '63 I used to own had the front fender blade areas modified to use the later assemblies...I'm not sure how easy that would be today as good assemblies are difficult to find.

You might check with Nostalgic Motors...they made chromed brass repops of the later style but I've no idea of their availability right now. I once checked with Studebaker International and found that they had some plastic repops of the later style but again...I've no idea whether they still have any.

I'm wondering if the previous owner repaired the front wings using those, early 63, smaller turn signal repair blocks (or the restoration shop did). I found two extra repair blocks in a box of parts, with a $69.96 price tag on each one. This still leaves me looking for the smaller turn signal lens and holder.

Anyone have one to loan so I can recast it?

From the picture you posted it looks like the parking lamp area on your '63 Avanti is exactly the way it should be.

There is no separate parking lamp housing used on the 'round light' '63,....What you have is what you get!!

What you need now are the two piece parking lamp lenses (two lenses per side)....One, (the outer) is a clear lens with a chromed edge........The inner one is a plastic 'grooved' lens that was available in clear (early) and later on in amber.

Thanks guys!

The drawing Regnalbob posted has cleared things up a lot.

I thought the lens was supposed to sit inside the lip of the cut-out, but this shows them surface mounted. Surprising.

I love learning new stuff!

Remember!.....Before serial 63R4892 there were two different 'inner' parking lamp lenses used in production on the Studebaker Avanti.

They both were made and look exactly the same.....but one is AMBER and the other one is CLEAR!

• 2 weeks later...

I had the St Louis Avanti owners/experts over to the house last weekend. Turns out the problem with the front parking lamps looks like an error when the restoration shop repaired the front fenders. When installing the parking lamp blocks, they flush mounted them, when they should have been recessed about 1/8 inch from the leading edge. They also mounted them upside down.

DSC02109_zpsqdljcqzo.jpg

I guess now I have two choices; modify the lens to fit the smaller opening or use the Dremel to carve out a proper sized pocket to fit the correct lens'.

What do you think?

Well, that's a tough one!!.....I'd have to say that since your Avanti is still in primer, bite the bullet and start re-working the body...it's really not THAT big of a deal.

Be thankful that you didn't discover this error AFTER the car was painted.....And that DOES sometimes happen!

I am late to the party, but I have a 1963, that has one 1963 turn signal on one side and a 1964 on the other.

I would consider letting go the 1963 assembly for a 1964 to match the other side. Cutting is easier than filling.

Tom