avanti motor corp?

b denning

Welcome, and enjoy the drive.

Your new Avanti, is it a 2006 model? Is it one of the new V6 models, or a V8?

Beyond the city of Villa Rica moving into the Avanti Motors Corporation land/buildings, the current status of Avanti seems lost in the vapors of the early morning dew. Only parts of their website are functional, the last "news" was from October 17th, 2005.

Thomas

Beyond the city of Villa Rica moving into the Avanti Motors Corporation land/buildings, the current status of Avanti seems lost in the vapors of the early morning dew. Only parts of their website are functional, the last "news" was from October 17th, 2005.

They had an ad in issue 133 showing the new Avanti with the Cobra wheels like I had suggest

they do, but its odd for a whole company to disappear without notice. I would guess that the

"Studebaker XUV" is bringing them down. It would be ironic for the "Studebaker" to "kill"

Avanti, since the Avanti was the last nail in the coffin for Studebaker! :blink:

Each new Avanti has to "absorb" the cost of a new Mustang, which means it STARTS at a cost

of 25k (or so). I really dont understand why a low production company like this, is not able

to side step some of the standards, similar to a kit car company. If Avanti made an almost

"turn key" car, then people could "build" their own. Art Morrison makes a frame that could

be used under an Avanti body .... but then I suggested all that before!

Tom

Welcome, and enjoy the drive.

Your new Avanti, is it a 2006 model? Is it one of the new V6 models, or a V8?

Thomas

its a 2004 conv.i love it! i was gonna trade up to a 06 , but no phone contact from villa rica.what happens if i crack it up??just gotta wait and see i guess

I don't think any manufacturer can sidestep any regulations. There used to be an exemption for "low volume" manufacturers, like Avanti during the early years, but even then the exemptions were temporary and allowed small companies additional time before having to comply.

To have a dedicated chassis for the Avanti would be great, but many problems exist that only large amounts of capital would fix. The expense of designing a chassis is one thing, but it is very time consuming and expensive to certify it for the federal approval...would a small company like Avanti be financially able to send numerous cars to the government for crash tests? When you only build and sell maybe 50-100 cars a year the costs would have to be spread out among all cars sold and few could afford to buy one. That doesn't even include the deign and certification of mandatory safety items like airbags, fuel tanks, bumper systems, proprietary windhshield and side glass designs, etc. The big companies can spread the costs over a large number of vehicles to minimize the impact of these expenses. Small companies have to adapt existing platforms so they can piggyback on the federal and state certifications at little to no extra cost.

All that being said, I would love to see a dedicated Avanti chassis so we wouldn't be dependent on GM, Ford or whomever for a basic vehicle Avanti Motors has to adapt the design to and be at their mercy when models are changed or discontinued. I love my '02 Avanti, but it gets tiring at times to have to explain it's not "just a re-skinned Camaro" as one ignorant rice rocket owner contemptuously said. It's so much more than that.

No manufacturer is exempt from the federal standards. Avanti over the years was given time extensions vs. volume manufacturers, but that was years ago that they had to "catch up". Even the major modern rod builders have to make their creations smog compliant. Some choose to dodge this in creative ways, but the raid on Boyd Coddington's shop proved that the government is closing in on the scofflaws.

The idea of resurecting the Avanti name in a kit car format is great except for one major issue - the company/individuals that currently own the rights to the Avanti name. They apparently do not want to be found, probably creditors in pursuit. The Avantis from the last few years are very nice cars, I especially like the LS1 powered examples.

Whenever you meet a contemptuous car enthusiast, just remind them that its okay to be ignorant, and someday they may grow up.

Thomas

I don't think any manufacturer can sidestep any regulations. There used to be an exemption for "low volume" manufacturers, like Avanti during the early years, but even then the exemptions were temporary and allowed small companies additional time before having to comply. To have a dedicated chassis for the Avanti would be great, but many problems exist that only large amounts of capital would fix.

How do some of these 'Cobra' manufacturers get away with it? Also, Shelby is

making remanufactured Mustangs that look like the Eleanor from the remake of

'Gone in 60 Seconds'. He is obviously side stepping, most likely because its

based off a VIN that already exists? Maybe the key to the Avanti surviving, is

to BUY Avantis (most likely Avanti IIs) with rotted frames, and then rebuild

them with new chassis like Shelby is doing. I read TOO many times about an

Avanti being parted out because the frame is gone. The bodys are always in

good condition. Figure you can pick up a 'basketcase' Avanti for 3000 to 6000

just about anywhere these days - sure beats the 25k the new Mustang costs.

The chassis isnt really a big issue, like I mentioned Art Morrison already makes

a chassis for the 53 Studebaker, and Stude pretty much used the same frame

under all their cars (with slight differences). It wouldnt be hard to get Art to

make a chassis that fits the Avanti - then there is the aftermarket for all the

OTHER Avantis on the road. My 63 Frame isnt exactly pristine! If the company

was open to adapting to the market thats available, they COULD really make

a killing, with designing parts that will fit the 63-89 models on the road now!

They could sell remanufactured cars like Shelby and Foose, and then sell the

goodies to US!! Modern taillights, headlights, wiper assemblys, seats, and etc.

This isnt a pipe dream - its a reality. B)

Tom

Sorry, but you have entered the dreamland zone. Kit cars are different, and I'm not sure if that format would appeal to the late model Avanti clientele. Not all of those Cobra companies have the cakewalk you might think - not all states welcome such cars with open arms.

The basic math on production numbers rules out an Eleanor/Avanti. Shelby can find thousands of old Mustang shells to use in building the Eleanor models etc. Total Avanti, and Avanti II, production through 1983 was maybe 8,000 units. Not all of which are currently extant. Only a portion of the remaining survivors suffer from rotten frames that need a total replacement. The business case for continuing Avanti in this manner is weak.

Take a look at what has happened everytime someone tries to make modern parts for the Studebaker engine - they go nowhere. Too few real buyers among the several that talk about alloy cylinder heads, a new big bore block, new cams, etc.

Now if a moneyed individual wants to take on any of these causes without the economics to support it in the business sense, then it would be interesting. So far I see little such activity.

Thomas

Sorry, but you have entered the dreamland zone. Kit cars are different, and I'm not sure if that format would appeal to the late model Avanti clientele. Not all of those Cobra companies have the cakewalk you might think - not all states welcome such cars with open arms.

I agree that a kit car Avanti would be a hard sell, but its not without merit.

The basic math on production numbers rules out an Eleanor/Avanti. Shelby can find thousands of old Mustang shells to use in building the Eleanor models etc. Total Avanti, and Avanti II, production through 1983 was maybe 8,000 units. Not all of which are currently extant. Only a portion of the remaining survivors suffer from rotten frames that need a total replacement. The business case for continuing Avanti in this manner is weak.

I dont agree, keep in mind that Avanti makes about 50 to 150 cars a year, Avantis needing

repair up to frame replacement are getting MORE common, not less common. Just about

any Avanti back east needs at least the frame reinforcements replaced, most have rusted

rear frames. It seems like I read about yet another Avanti being parted out because the

frame is gone - yet the body is easily salvagable. Keep in mind, this is as a alternative to

Avanti completely going out of business ... if they continued in this form it would benefit all

the Avantis on the road, and sales would be more then just complete cars. Wouldnt you be

happy to buy some LED taillights that are as bright as todays cars? How about headlights

that fit your car, yet do away with the sealed beam? I would buy them!

Take a look at what has happened everytime someone tries to make modern parts for the Studebaker engine - they go nowhere. Too few real buyers among the several that talk about alloy cylinder heads, a new big bore block, new cams, etc.

Your preaching to the choir on THIS one:

Avanti Forum original post :

http://www.aoai.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=345

Avanti Forum followup (after rear installed) :

http://www.aoai.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=387

Now if a moneyed individual wants to take on any of these causes without the economics to support it in the business sense, then it would be interesting. So far I see little such activity.

I tried .. but I have no money. :(

Tom

When Avantis start to show some serious price appreciation, that is when you will see kit car Avantis.

Very few Avanti's are being used as daily transportation. The reason why bad frame Avanti's tend to get parted out is because the economics do not support the kind of devotion that a re-frame project requires. Usually always, a bad frame Avanti has a multitude of issues - of which the frame is just the worst issue. Reality check: the current pace of new Avanti production is zilch - and will probably remain that way until the next rich dude with car dreams comes along to scoop up the remnants of the company at a liquidation sale.

I already have the LED taillights, complete new assemblies came in the big box 'o parts that came with my car. I'm happy that someone made them - but the relatively low numbers of remaining Avanti/Avanti II cars make parts like this a labor of love of the car.

Thomas

Usually always, a bad frame Avanti has a multitude of issues - of which the frame is just the worst issue. Reality check: the current pace of new Avanti production is zilch - and will probably remain that way until the next rich dude with car dreams comes along to scoop up the remnants of the company at a liquidation sale.

My Avanti is a 63, and the rear of the frame has the bottom separating from the "hat". Some might consider

it a parts car, but if you look at the pictures - it certainly doesnt look like a parts car. As with Corvettes, the

first thing to go is the frame - to have replacements available would benefit all. Thats the point I am trying

to make here. Avanti USED to be more profitable, and that was back when they supported all the existing

Avantis on the road, the current Avanti Motors doesnt have anything to offer the restorer or driver of cars on

the road today. If this was an option, it would increase the revenue that Avanti takes in, and there by giving

them more breathing room between car sales. Its not a pipe dream or a fantasy, its a REAL sales tactic that

would assist Avanti in being profitable again. Going back to the original body, and making an updated frame

that uses C4 Corvette suspenion components, but the original mounting points would give Avanti a sellable

item like Art Morrison. Sure the market would be 1 or 2 a year, but thats extra cash, since those frames are

used in the production model. Headlights, taillights, door handles, window regulators (priced on lately?) all

would become available to the aftermarket - which is what Avanti did back in the N&A days.

Modern-Retro is in ... and you cant get much more retro/modern then an Avanti. ;)

Too bad the "idea" people never have any money. :rolleyes:

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

In response to the questions about Avanti's future existence. Avanti Motor Corp. will soon be announcing exciting news about future production and future models. Avanti has not "gone away", it is only going through an important transition that will be made public soon.

This is the only post that will be made in this forum until the news on Avanti's new plans are released later this summer.

In response to the questions about Avanti's future existence. Avanti Motor Corp. ......

Is there any way to confirm this actually came from Avanti Motor Corp? I thought that "Avantidan"

was the spokesperson for AMC, the post above is the first post for "Avanti-Info". Seems odd. Did

Dan not work out for AMC? Does it confuse people if I call Avanti Motor Corp "AMC"?... hehe

Tom