Open electric trunk

64studeavanti

Open the hatch in the rear deck and with a flashlight and long flat-blade screwdriver, insert the screwdriver through the hole visible in the lock mechanism and turn it. You should hear the latch click and the trunk should be open. Then you can determine the problem with the electric mechanism.

I can not speak specifically to your 78; however, the earlier ones can be opened via the cabin access (on deck) behind back seats. There is panel that opens up...you can access trunk. On the trunk latch there is a screw driver slot which can be rotated with a long handle screw driver.

99% sure your 78 is the same, Try to post pic later

Joe

I had to use the screwdriver for the first time in June while driving my 76 to CA. The power plug aka cigar lighter was shorting out the circuit and blowing the fuse, with the trunk solenoid also on the same circuit. I put in a new lighter from O'Riellys and got the electric button working again. The cable pull is still in place but doesn't operate the latch.

• 4 weeks later...

Like to replace the cable on my 71. Any suggestions on installation of an electric opener? I liked the on on my dad's Cad that would pull the deck lid down.

Depends on how stock you want it. If that's important, then find one from another Avanti would probably fit with little/no modifications. If not, most aftermarket units are just a solenoid that you adapt.

In my 54K, I used a GM unit that pulls closed as you describe above. It took a fair amount of modifications but works.

The best place to find a unit that may work is Ebay. Not saying you need to buy one there but you'll find pictures of most any unit available. That's how I found the one I used on the 54K that pulls closed.

There are still a couple of wrecking yards that let me prowl the grounds so that could be another source.

Lastly, to make the pull down unit work, you will need to supply a constant on 12v source to the latch, I would think. Bob

Edited by Avanti83

In my 1983 the Rear Latch did not work at all after being in Sandy. I took it apart and what I could cleaned and lubricated and the areas that do not come apart after cleaning I worked pieces of a paper bag strips saturated in Vaseline and worked them in between the latch mechanism. Two years later it is working fine.