HELP WITH ASSEMBLY ORDER REAR BRAKES

Rick Allen

Parts book shows related parts but doesn't show the backer plate (see attached) Service manual says axle shims, then the brake backer plate against the shims, then what they call the "backer plate reinforcing plate", part book calls it part 1002-24,  "washer and retainer".  So is this the correct order for assembly, shims, then the backer plate, then the part 1002-24?

Also, what is gasket 1002-31 made of, the book calls it "paper", mine was destroyed but it seemed like more of a cork material?,,,

IMG_20230526_170031959.jpg

The illustration shows the proper order of assembly.  The backing plate is illustrated in the brake section 11.  It goes on last.  The gasket is a sort of a absorbent paper-like material so it doesn't add to any adjustments.  I haven't checked, but I'm sure they're available from most of the vendors.

2 hours ago, Skip Lackie said:

The illustration shows the proper order of assembly.  The backing plate is illustrated in the brake section 11.  It goes on last.  The gasket is a sort of a absorbent paper-like material so it doesn't add to any adjustments.  I haven't checked, but I'm sure they're available from most of the vendors.

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, I did check section 11 but it doesn't show the position of the brake backer plate in relation to the other axle components.  However the workshop manual in both paragraphs of removal and installation (attached) ,seems to indicate the backer plate goes on against the shims and then the backer plate reinforcement plate next; or am I interpreting it incorrectly?,,,Any clarification is appreciated,,,

IMG_20230527_104748206.jpg

IMG_20230527_104637663.jpg

8 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

Yes,

Shims on right side, followed by brake backing plate, followed by reinforcement plate, and finally, the dust seal. IIRC, there is a thin paper gaskets that goes between the dust seal and reinforcement plate.

Yeah that order makes sense according to the rear axle section of the service manual, I see the parts manual list the thin paper gasket as being four (4) per car so I assume one goes on each side of the reinforcement plate,,, thanks for your reply

8 hours ago, Rick Allen said:

Yeah that order makes sense according to the rear axle section of the service manual, I see the parts manual list the thin paper gasket as being four (4) per car so I assume one goes on each side of the reinforcement plate,,, thanks for your reply

I use Permatex® Ultra Black® RTV Silicone Gasket Maker instead of paper gaskets.
When I installed new dust seal plate 1002-24, I moistened the felt in oil. Otherwise it was very difficult to install Brake Drum thru it.

The cone part of the axle and the brake drum must be dry when you install the brake drum. Otherwise, the drum will not bite hard into the axel end.

Edited by Leo B