Avanti Four Speed!

mfg

Why do some folks consider the four speed transmission used in '61 thru early '62 Studebakers (Chevy bolt pattern case) to be more desireable than the four speed trans used in late '62 thru '64 Studebakers and Studebaker Avantis?

3 hours ago, r1lark said:

Because of the gear ratios.....................😊

1 hour ago, Nelson said:

I agree, gear ratios. Early box is close ratio 2.20 low and later are the wide box 2.54 first gear. R3/ R4 cars had the 2.20 box.

That's it men!.....As the earlier box was basically right out of a Corvette, (excepting for the Stude input shaft), most all of them had close ratio gearing ..... The later box normally had less desirable 'wide' gear ratios, unless the 'close' gears were special ordered, or the car had a Granatelli engine.

One Stude Avanti owner actually scared up the unique early four speed GM style clutch housing just so he could install that 'close' early four speed in his car! 😃

3 minutes ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

So, R3/R4 cars used the Chevy-bolt-pattern T10?

Nope....close ratio gears could be ordered in the later '62-'64 Ford bolt pattern transmission case. (late '62)

9 hours ago, mfg said:

Nope....close ratio gears could be ordered in the later '62-'64 Ford bolt pattern transmission case. (late '62)

Ok, I remember now that close-ratio gears were an option.  As far as close-ratio gears being more desirable, that depends on the differential ratio and the intended use of the car.  A 4-spd Avanti with 2:20 first gear and a 3.31 diff would be a dog off the line.  I have an R3 Avanti with 3:31 diff and the (wide ratio, A833 ?) Chrysler 4-spd and that combination is great for street driving.

--Dwight

1 hour ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

Ok, I remember now that close-ratio gears were an option.  As far as close-ratio gears being more desirable, that depends on the differential ratio and the intended use of the car.  A 4-spd Avanti with 2:20 first gear and a 3.31 diff would be a dog off the line.  I have an R3 Avanti with 3:31 diff and the (wide ratio, A833 ?) Chrysler 4-spd and that combination is great for street driving.

--Dwight

That makes sense..it's really all about how the car is to be driven.

21 hours ago, regnalbob said:

The close ratio 4 speed (T10C) became available as an option for the Avanti after 9/16/63

Because of the late availability its possible no Avantis were built with the close ratio transmission.

Bob. You could be right with the R1 and R2 cars but all the R3 4 speed Avantis did have the close ratio box. It must have been standard equipment for the R3 cars in general and you would need to special order the wide box.

2 hours ago, Nelson said:

Bob. You could be right with the R1 and R2 cars but all the R3 4 speed Avantis did have the close ratio box. It must have been standard equipment for the R3 cars in general and you would need to special order the wide box.

Nelson,

Based on two Studebaker Sales Letters the close ratio was listed as an option for all model Avantis.

1   Prices and changes - Avanti R3 Ultra High Performance Engine.   # 161  6/10/63

" Required with this engine at extra cost is a four-speed floor mounted manual shift transmission with optional close-coupled ratios."

2  New Avanti Options and Revised Avanti Order Guide.    #174   9/16/63

" For those wanting a 4 Speed Manual Transmisson with a close ratio, we are making available the T10C transmission."

I have found that R-5546 does have the close ratio transmission.

If your R-5237 has the close ratio that will be two out of five.

Would be interesting to know if the other three have the close ratio.

The way I read that is the close ratio transmission is required with the R3 and it will cost more money. Is that what you are thinking? R5546 is close ratio. Maybe the wide box could be special ordered with the R3?