878-88 Avant

Guest Larry Delazzer

Guest Larry Delazzer

Wellll, wife and I were at SDC meet in St Louis this past week and looked at many beautiful Avanti's and decided we would like to get a later model Avanti convertible to keep our 63 company. We prefer the look of the 87-88 model and when doing some research I read they tend to have a problem with the A/C switch and it can catch fire - that's kinda scary, any input pro or con on this. Why I'm asking I may as well ask for input on any other problems these models are predisposed to.

Thanks.

Edited by Larry Delazzer

Larry, I heard the same thing as well in the 87's and 88's, but not the 89's.

Other differences are that the 87's and 88's are on the Monte Carlo frame and the 89's, 90 4 doors and the 7 91 convertibles are on the Caprice frame. 87's & 88's have the gas tank mounted pretty much in the same location as the coupes, over the rear axle with the gas fill on the left rear deck in front of the trunk where the 89's have a larger 25 gal tank under the trunk, making the donut and a large donut cover take up most of the room in the trunk. and the gas filler is slightly above and behind the left rear wheel opening. All models had some issue with the window switches, mainly grounding issues. Interiors were pretty much identical.

Only 7 1991 convertibles were produced before production ceased. Its said they were the best quality with slight differences in the front end and the body is supposed to be just a little longer.

I do have a 89 convertible, PM me if interested.

Guest Larry Delazzer

plwindish, thanks for the info, appreciate it. As far as 89 goes I do prefer the look of the 87-88 but thanks for letting me know.

Larry