Rear break drum touches back plate.

Leo B

Hey. I bought new rear brake drums and have the old tapered axles. Now the drums touch the backplates on both sides. Old drums didnt do that.
Do you have any experience with this? Are the new drums / hubs dimensioned only for new axles?

I got answer from Russ / Studebaker Parts. Should be same for old or new axel. Maybe mine old ones are just too worn beacuse I have opened drums many times.

ย 

Edited by Leo B

I would check the location of the spacers. I canโ€™t remember exactly but if spacers and shims are on the inboard side of the backing plate you might have this problem. I remember having the problem with one drum and it turned out to be the shims needed to be moved the the opposite axel which gave clearance to the problem drum to backing plate.

The shims for axle end play go between the axle and backing plate. There is a reinforcement that goes on the front of the backing plate. Then the dust seal. There are gaskets on either side of the reinforcement.

IIRC, the shims for axle end play go on the passenger side according to shop manual.

Make sure the bearing races are seating correctly. Additionally, if you removed/replaced bearings, maybe the bearings are not fully seated on the axle.

You really have experience. Everything was correct except the thick reinforcement plates. They were on the wrong side. Now OK. You are important helpers๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜ƒ