Looking for: Studebaker Avanti jack and jack handle

BillyBob

Looking for - how would one say? - a "Driver Quality" Studebaker jack and jack handle.

...hope to never need them but one never knows!!

Thanks, BillyBob

Does it have to be an original Studebaker supplied jack?  You can go to Walmart, Pep Boys, Auto Zone or other store and buy a new scissors jack and handle pretty inexpensively.  

4 hours ago, BillyBob said:

Looking for - how would one say? - a "Driver Quality" Studebaker jack and jack handle.

...hope to never need them but one never knows!!

Thanks, BillyBob

Does anyone actually throw these in the trunk and carry them around while driving? They seem to be quite significant! I have the original new in the box that came with my 64 Avanti, but I keep it in the man cave with the gas pumps, lubesters, porcelain signs, and all the other Studebaker collectibles. If by any chance I have a tire issue, I’ll call my roadside assistance to come help me out.

1 minute ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

I once had one of those fold up, dropping the car on the ground.  Granted, it wasn't on level ground.  Just be aware that those jacks are junk.

--Dwight

Dwight, Which jack are you referring to as junk? I just wanted to clarify to eliminate any misunderstanding.

Robert

9 hours ago, 1inxs said:

Dwight, Which jack are you referring to as junk? I just wanted to clarify to eliminate any misunderstanding.

Robert

This was back in the late sixties, but I'm pretty sure it was the original scissors jack that came with my '64 Avanti.

--Dwight

I’ve got a black one in my trunk and for some unknown reason, this was with the car. It seems pretty stable looking, but I never use them.

BillyBob, It should be pretty easy to get a new one for your Avanti. Unless you’re like me and enjoy the hunt for authentic OEM vintage.

088084A2-D045-462F-BD6D-1FCAB4855054.jpeg

Edited by 1inxs

• 2 weeks later...

So this makes me wonder if they had an “official” jack. I was reading where the Mustang jacks were supplied by 3 different companies over the early years. Does the authenticity manual address the jack?  Was the jack in a 63 the same as an 85?  You would think Studebaker would have found a supplier for a jack instead of building their own. Maybe they had a big stack of them like they did the Xframes.  Mike

It’s not unusual for car companies to have multiple suppliers for many parts.  It’s to insulate them against supply disruptions, strikes and the like.  General Motors contracted with Carter Carburetors as a second supplier of Quadrajet carbs in case a strike by Rochester workers disrupted supplies.

Something as generic as a jack is probably such a part.  As long as it meets specs and an agreeable price can be agreed upon it can be purchased and used.  Tires are another such product.

• 1 month later...

I may have one still in storage, are you still looking for this item?

Mark