Strange Dent in Front Crossmember

Zedman

Appropos the Chassis swap for my 1981 Avanti II, I note an odd dent in the original chassis' front Crossmember inner left side (marked Red in the picture).   I believe this is another example of factory butchery, possibly for exhaust pipe clearance but I'm not absolutely sure of that. It looks to have been heated with a torch and, quite skillfully, bludgeoned downward with a Hammer. There are a couple of furrows (marked Yellow) there as well but I think those were original. Can somebody elucidate on that ugly depression?  I really don't want to replicate it on the replacement chassis it if I don't need to.524095171_7.3Apr22Strangedent.thumb.jpg.912f33bda237239839d6a1b1c2c821fd.jpg

Edited by Zedman

Yes, this concave is supposed to be there!!! It is to allow clearance for the pitman arm. The same on my 1964, 1970 and 1981 Avantis. 

9 hours ago, wildfelr said:

RQB3263/81/305 .... I WILL CHECK 3263 NEXT TIME ITS ON THE LIFT AND REPORT BACK HERE ...... BILL IN FLORIDA

Thanks Bill- Being the owner of RQB 3269's close cousins, I bet you'll be similarly disappointed!  Do me a favour if you may, please- check for what these furrows and dings actually attempt to make clearance of. 🙃

1 hour ago, 1inxs said:

Yes, this concave is supposed to be there!!! It is to allow clearance for the pitman arm. The same on my 1964, 1970 and 1981 Avantis. 

Hi 1inxs.... Thanks for that info.  😬 Geeze....   So, irrespective of the steering gear fitted, this 'ding' will need to be replicated 😒. As part of my prior research, I had lifted a bunch of other peoples' pictures from the internet. I noted in one pic there was no ding in the shot but another pic did show closer proximity with the PS Pitman arm in the straight ahead position.

00R0R_5YtpWO64Xto_1200x900.thumb.jpg.e2c891ebd12ad1beb82fd9496d67e5cd.jpg

image.jpeg.87fba82465b7a6f86c315bcaa5ac67f0.thumb.jpeg.1e79ef2f0cad561444721974af5211e0.jpeg

Edited by Zedman
Added Photos

2 minutes ago, Zedman said:

Hi 1inxs.... Thanks for that info.  😬 Geeze....   So irrespective of the steering gear fitted, this 'ding' will need to be replicated 😒

Yes, you’ll need to replicate it unless you’re doing custom steering.

RQB 3263/81/305 ...... GOOD MORNING OR IS   IT GOOD NIGHT? ...I WIL GET 3263 UP ON LIFT TODAY AND TAKE A COUPLE PICS ..... SIDE NOTE .... I SEE I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH EXCELLENT CHOICE IN WHEELS ....THEY LOOK GREAT

IMG_2385.jpg

21 hours ago, Zedman said:

Hi 1inxs.... Thanks for that info.  😬 Geeze....   So, irrespective of the steering gear fitted, this 'ding' will need to be replicated 😒. As part of my prior research, I had lifted a bunch of other peoples' pictures from the internet. I noted in one pic there was no ding in the shot but another pic did show closer proximity with the PS Pitman arm in the straight ahead position.

00R0R_5YtpWO64Xto_1200x900.thumb.jpg.e2c891ebd12ad1beb82fd9496d67e5cd.jpg

image.jpeg.87fba82465b7a6f86c315bcaa5ac67f0.thumb.jpeg.1e79ef2f0cad561444721974af5211e0.jpeg

That first pic you posted (showing the engine rear support crossmember) was a BIG help to me....THANKS FOR POSTING! 🙂

Edited by mfg
added text

3 hours ago, mfg said:

That first pic you posted (showing the transmission crossmember) was a BIG help to me....THANKS FOR POSTING! 🙂

Whatever they used to put the dent into the cross member, it left a significant impression in my 74.

xmember dent.jpg

RQB3263 .... ALSO MY PITMAN ARM IS QUITE NOTICEABLY BENT (SEE PIC) FOR CLEARANCE IM SURE...IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO KNOW IF  OTHER CONTRIBUTORS HAVE THIS BENT PITMAN ARM..... BILL IN FLORIDA

14 hours ago, mfg said:

That first pic you posted (showing the engine rear support crossmember) was a BIG help to me....THANKS FOR POSTING! 🙂

Thanks... Glad to have helped 👌

11 hours ago, Avanti83 said:

Whatever they used to put the dent into the cross member, it left a significant impression in my 74.

xmember dent.jpg

Geeze its huge !   It also looks uncharacteristically smooth- perhaps its a dished piece that's been welded in.

It was probably part of the metal stamping process! It wouldn’t be don after the fact. If you need to replicate it. I would get an air chisel and blunt the end. Put on your ear protection and take your time moving metal. I would try without heat to start with. I believe it will move with some patience.

• 9 months later...

It is many months later.....

I have my new Frame ready for paint and the spectre of 'indenting' the inner edge of the Front Crossmember looms.  To do it, or not? I assembled the steering components (minus the Tie Rods) and operated the Steering gear to see whether the Drag Link needs clearance or not.

To my relief, the castellated nut/Ball Stud of the Drag link and the Shaft itself DO clear the edge of the Crossmember by at least 1/4"- Assembly swung fully forward and aft.  This is with all fasteners tightened up, no slop in the Steering Bellcrank.   There are no loads on the Frame, admittedly, such as Trans, Motor or Body.

Considering the monumental dents perpetrated by the N&A factory- you'd ask why they bothered.  I've decided to not reproduce this on the new Frame.IMG_1169.thumb.JPG.70a20648f79674e055d0943b8e7be76f.JPGIMG_1170.thumb.JPG.c73e152c58f778dd80e5f3fc1bb971f5.JPG

Edited by Zedman