Avanti Frame!

mfg

The first production Studebaker Avanti to utilize an "in house built" frame was serial number......?.....

1) 63R1002....2) 63R1004.....3) 63R1006.....or.......4) None of above

When I was a child (1950's) I lived near the Budd Co. plant in Philadelphia (Northeast) Red Lion plant. Besides producing stainless steel rail cars. they also did stamped steel automobile frames. When I was 10 or 12, I would ride my bike near the Reading railroad siding were flat railcars were stacked with black freshly painted automobile frames.

Wouldn't it have been great if they had stamped out a few Avanti frames using the stainless they had on hand for the rail cars!

24 minutes ago, Michael Phillips said:

When I was a child (1950's) I lived near the Budd Co. plant in Philadelphia (Northeast) Red Lion plant. Besides producing stainless steel rail cars. they also did stamped steel automobile frames. When I was 10 or 12, I would ride my bike near the Reading railroad siding were flat railcars were stacked with black freshly painted automobile frames.

Wouldn't it have been great if they had stamped out a few Avanti frames using the stainless they had on hand for the rail cars!

Great story!... and yes, Avanti frames made of stainless steel sure would have beat the frame rust issues we see today...but the increased cost would not have helped sell the cars!

The frames of several of the "EX" cars are NOT stamped by Budd. The one here has a Midland-Ross tag on it.

9 hours ago, brad said:

The frames of several of the "EX" cars are NOT stamped by Budd. The one here has a Midland-Ross tag on it.

I wonder if a few Studebaker (or Budd built) Lark convertible frames were shipped to Midland Ross with instructions & specifications to convert them to 'Avanti specs' ?

3 hours ago, Nelson said:

I guess that leaves 1002. Fill us in.

Yes, 63R1002....according to the owner of this gorgeous Studebaker Avanti, the original Avanti prototypes, and the first 'production' Avanti, 63R1001, all had Midland Ross Corp. frame tags...while there was no indication during its restoration that 63R1002 ever had such a tag.