UNUSUAL INTERIOR METAL TAG?

Rick Allen

The small metal tag (pictured) with remnants of glue on the back, was in the console of my recently acquired '64 R2, I'm wondering if this was something that was a standard tag in all Avanti and if so, where would it have been placed/located?

Or not an Avanti or Studebaker tag at all?,,, 

IMG_20230311_132742416.jpg

Although the Avanti rear glass was known to blow out, Studebaker revised the trim securing the rear window and all was good.  I remember seeing those stickers at checkout counters in auto parts stores.  They could be added to any car, even those incapable of getting close to 120 MPH.

Thanks for your reply.  Yea, I've been in and out of auto parts stores for 60 years now and worked on a lot of cars over time but never saw a metal tag like this, but I guess it may be in which part of the country you live, and it doesn't seem like something a car maker would put in a car; let's see what others think; frankly I'd be surprised if someone said it was actually something Studebaker did back then.   Thanks again for your comments,,,

• 1 month later...

Reading some of the early problems the Avanti had, one of which beings that the rear window could pop out at hi-speed with the windows open, I was sure that the tag I found in my un-restored ’64 R2, was in fact a warning tag Studebaker had placed on the console below the radio. 

Today I can across this video (link below) in which you can clearly see the tag on this ’63 (or could be early ’64 due to the wood grain dash, steering wheel, and all black interior).

I cut a picture out of the video to include in this post, the video only runs about 5 minutes and the interior shot with the tag starts about 4 minutes in,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8LYWXq9rB4

Caution.JPG

On 3/11/2023 at 3:45 PM, psdenno said:

Although the Avanti rear glass was known to blow out, Studebaker revised the trim securing the rear window and all was good.  I remember seeing those stickers at checkout counters in auto parts stores.  They could be added to any car, even those incapable of getting close to 120 MPH.

What he said X2

I've seen the tag in the past, and maybe it was something that Studebaker added in later production, but I am not sure about that.  I think I might  remember seeing these tags for sale from various Studebaker vendors.