R3, R4, R5 Questions

Anthony63

Thanks again Dwight. I have looked there as well as some other places. It is helpful for sure, but I was looking for something slightly different.

For instance you say the one R4. Was there only one true R4 made for sale?  Those are some questions that I'm interested in knowing the answer to. 

Also were the number 8 and 9 cars 299s or 304.5? Or were they both? Were they 299s at first and then changed to 304.5? If they were changed was it with a completely different B number?

Edited by anthonyb63
Duplicate

I did a little research on whether # 9 was a truly stock R3 with a 304.5" engine.  And what I found was a few sources saying it was a 304.5" engine, and none that said it was a 299".  That said, there is a lot of misinformation out there on Avantis, my sources could be wrong.  It would be great to hear from other folks on this issue.  I don't have any info on the engine for # 8, but will take a wild guess that it was also a 304.5".

So far as I know, the Avantis that went to Bonneville in the first round were all 299" engines that were hand-built by the Granetellis with with ported and polished heads, a Winfield cam, and other speed tricks they had picked up over the years.

The number of R3 and R4 engines assembled are supposedly around 120 but of known survivors there are gaps in engine numbers so the figure assumes all consecutive numbers were built.  There is a catch…there appears to have been fewer sets of cylinder heads than engine blocks made as some R3 engines sold by Paxton were equipped with R2 or modified R2 heads.

The number of actual R4 engines is quite small…probably in the single digits.

”Somewhere” I have a list…fifteen years or older…of all known R3/R4 engines…what car they were originally installed in or where they were known to be at the time the list was compiled.  Since my move I have yet to unbox a lot of such stuff…if I still have it at all.

So since John Hora passed a few years back, does anyone know what happened to the number 9 car? 

I remember reading somewhere that the 9 car had R-3 B-15 in it for Bonneville. Does anyone know if that is what is still in it today?