Avanti Strato- Vue Mirror?

Dunkin

Some like their Avanti's mirror(s) on the front fenders, but I prefer my mirror on the door as above.  Aside from front-fender installation being less functional and difficult to adjust I think door-mounted mirrors look better.  They look oddball on the front fender to me.

--Dwight

1 hour ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

Smart man!

--Dwight

Really?..

The Avanti Strato-Vue mirror is an outstanding design. Installing a pair of them on the rear portions of an Avanti's front fenders showcases those beautiful mirrors, and highly complements the car itself (IMHO)

6 hours ago, mfg said:

Really?..

The Avanti Strato-Vue mirror is an outstanding design. Installing a pair of them on the rear portions of an Avanti's front fenders showcases those beautiful mirrors, and highly complements the car itself (IMHO)

Just my sense of taste, but the mirrors on the fenders interfere with the beautiful lines of an Avanti.  The mirrors are beautiful themselves, but the lines of the car far outweigh them.  Putting them on the fenders pulls one's eye away from the lines of the car.

Several years ago I had a choice of two very nice Avantis locally, one with one mirror on the driver's door, the other with mirrors on the fenders.  The mirrors were the deciding factor in the one I bought (ok, I'm exaggerating a little).

--Dwight

Edited by Dwight FitzSimons

5 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

Just my sense of taste, but the mirrors on the fenders interfere with the beautiful lines of an Avanti.  The mirrors are beautiful themselves, but the lines of the car far outweigh them.  Putting them on the fenders pulls one's eye away from the lines of the car.

Several years ago I had a choice of two very nice Avantis locally, one with one mirror on the driver's door, the other with mirrors on the fenders.  The mirrors were the deciding factor in the one I bought (ok, I'm exaggerating a little).

--Dwight

Good story!... and I agree that it's  really just a matter of personal preference! 🙂

Does the "Template for Alternate Installation on Door" imply that the original placement of the outside rear-view mirror was up on the front fenders?   If so, then the "alternate placement" was an engineering improvement to the driver's rear vision, like the larger inside mirror.  The original inside mirror was tiny and was replaced by a larger one.

So, if my suppositions are true, then the fender-mounted outside mirror(s) and tiny inside mirror are correct for early Avantis.

--Dwight

1 hour ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

Does the "Template for Alternate Installation on Door" imply that the original placement of the outside rear-view mirror was up on the front fenders?   If so, then the "alternate placement" was an engineering improvement to the driver's rear vision, like the larger inside mirror.  The original inside mirror was tiny and was replaced by a larger one.

So, if my suppositions are true, then the fender-mounted outside mirror(s) and tiny inside mirror are correct for early Avantis.

--Dwight

I hope you're correct...I have 64R1379, and it has the two Strato- Vue fender mirrors and the tiny rearview mirror....

Obviously..it's not an everyday driv er !!!!  😉

2 hours ago, mfg said:

I hope you're correct...I have 64R1379, and it has the two Strato- Vue fender mirrors and the tiny rearview mirror....

Obviously..it's not an everyday driver !!!!  😉

It looks like the stylists didn't communicate with Engineering before they released their mirror designs.  Or, Engineering didn't catch the issue when they did their review.  The other issue is the placement of the inside mirror, down low on the windshield.  An Engineering Bulletin (or whatever) was issued stating where & how to move it up.  It's kinda mind blowing to think that those cars left the plant with a tiny mirror mounted just above the dash.

--Dwight

3 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

It looks like the stylists didn't communicate with Engineering before they released their mirror designs.  Or, Engineering didn't catch the issue when they did their review.  The other issue is the placement of the inside mirror, down low on the windshield.  An Engineering Bulletin (or whatever) was issued stating where & how to move it up.  It's kinda mind blowing to think that those cars left the plant with a tiny mirror mounted just above the dash.

--Dwight

Yes...agreed...I always figured a normal mirror would have originally been placed in the 'normal' location but for the light/heater switches.

1 hour ago, mfg said:

Yes...agreed...I always figured a normal mirror would have originally been placed in the 'normal' location but for the light/heater switches.

Reminds me of the Chrysler 'Fin' cars ('57 +).

My dad had a ‘61 Chrysler New Yorker that had the mirror mounted on a ball socket on the dash.  The first Avanti I looked at hoping to buy had the same mirror installation.  I distinctly remember that…couldn’t swing the dineros…poor college student at the time.  After I was able to buy an Avanti about five years later it had the windshield mount mirror up near the top of the glass.  When I started reading more about Avanti I discovered only the prototypes had the dash top mounted rear view mirror.  I could have had a prototype Avanti and didn’t know it…but money wasn’t there regardless.

Speaking of "Mirrors",  one of the very first changes I made to my '88 Coupe was to replace the huge Monte Carlo interior mirror (took up half the view out of the small windshield) with a Smaller size!

• 9 months later...
9 hours ago, Dunkin said:

What size well nuts for the mirror? The instructions say drill 3/8" hole and the screw size is 3/8", so I am confused. Thank you. 

The well nuts use a 10-32 x 1.25 inch Phillips oval head screw.

WellNut.thumb.png.df40886244dea7bc979802c130971c2c.png

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2023 at 2:15 PM, mfg said:

Really?..

I meant "smart man" because he listened to his wife.  Anyone may like either placement he wishes, but it is still a PITA to adjust mirrors on the fenders, and they are less effective on the fenders because they are effectively much smaller.  Vision to the rear is poor on an Avanti and we need all the help we can get.

I side with safety.

--Dwight