'64 R2 CRANKSHAFT NUMBER

Rick Allen

Took the crankshaft out of my '64 R2 engine as part of rebuild but was surprised to see the number was different than what the book called for; the book calls for a 1556929 for the R2 Avanti 289 but the number on my crank is 1556444 as best as I can make out, the 2nd last number looks like a poorly stamped "4".  If anyone knows these numbers and can tell me if the crank I have is not correct for the engine, please let me know; I am reasonably sure the engine was never apart as far as I can tell,,,

IMG_20230223_162848240.jpg

R2_cramlshaft.png

Edited by Rick Allen
Correct Typo

The part number for the R1/R2 (& 289) crankshaft is 1556929.  What you are looking at is the forging number, which is not the same thing as a part number.   (On rare occasions the two might be the same on some forgings or castings).

--Dwight

Edited by Dwight FitzSimons

• Rick Allen changed the title to '64 R2 CRANKSHAFT NUMBER
9 minutes ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

The part number for the R1/R2 (& 289) crankshaft is 1556929.  What you are looking at is the forging number, which is not the same thing as a part number.   (On rare occasions the two might be the same on some forgings or castings).

--Dwight

Thank you, that's a relief, I look again for the part #,,,

1 hour ago, Rick Allen said:

The forge number is very visible to find but where is the part number located on the crankshaft?,,,

The part number would have originally been on a tag attached to the crankshaft, but not stamped or forged on the crankshaft itself.  Those familiar with how foundries are operated might explain this better than I.

--Dwight