Shields in the Torque Converter Housing

Fourward

I checked 4 bell housings and did not see any. So, either they are missing,  possible, or I do kot know what I am looking for, likely. In any case, Studebaker International shows both parts on-line for reasonable prices. They do not list Avanti specifically, but the part number is the same for all models.

Thanks anyway. Studebaker International does show them, I ordered them, $12 and $10 or so a piece, the receipt showed up "out of stock." Phil Harris keeps saying he has them, but he doesn't. Like I said, hard to find. I am trying to put together Avanti #4788. I still need a starter and a brake booster. Impossible to get without cores.

For the starter, you can use any 12 volt, V8 Stude starter as long as it matches the transmission type. My 64 R1 came with a Delco starter and always started. I have since located the correct Prestolite unit for authenticity. 

For the booster, I believe that disc brake Larks use the same one. Also, there was a trivia question on this forum that implies that the booster from late 60s Hemi charger is identical. However, this may be rarer than the Stude version. 

In my notes, I have recorded that an ABS 7" dual diaphram booster will work, if not needing authenticity.  Unfortunately, I didn't write down any part numbers or other identification.

Edited by 64studeavanti

6 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

For the starter, you can use any 12 volt, V8 Stude starter as long as it matches the transmission type. My 64 R1 came with a Delco starter and always started. I have since located the correct Prestolite unit for authenticity. 

For the booster, I believe that disc brake Larks use the same one. Also, there was a trivia question on this forum that implies that the booster from late 60s Hemi charger is identical. However, this may be rarer than the Stude version. 

In my notes, I have recorded that an ABS 7" dual diaphram booster will work, if not needing authenticity.  Unfortunately, I didn't write down any part numbers or other identification.

By the way, that  Delco starter is of a higher quality than the Prestolite!

(IMHO)

Hey, you are giving me some hope. I have a starter, I think it is a MDU 7005 or 7006, fits 61 to 64 Studebaker, and indeed, it fits on there. It might have been the one that was on the car, the previous owner gave it to me in a hurry. It was a running driving car before... However, I bench tested it the other day, and, it shorts out. As soon as I hook up a negative cable, I get a shower of sparks. I put a multimeter on it, it shows continuity from the positive cable terminal to the case. It also showered sparks when I had it attached to the engine. Any comments on that? I took the two long screws out, it looks good in there. Brushes nice and full... As for the booster, yes hope, I got maybe the last booster in a NAPA store for a 68 New Yorker which I was told would fit, it didnt. Do you guys use a proportioning valve, and, the Avanti original brake junction box?        Thank you 64 Stude, I am kinda at an impass, been working about a half hour a day since August.

I just checked the parts stash and I have a spare Prestolite MDU 7026. This for non "R" Stude  V8 with auto trans. I also have a spare 12V Delco. I need to check if it is for V8, stick or auto. 

I do not know the condition of either, but if you are interested,  I will clean them up and bench test.

How about $100. There is one on ebay in Dover that wants  $150 + 27.95 for shipping. He does state that the terminal is loose. I do not know if he tested it.

I does fit in a large flat rate box. I will need to reinforce the box, but it will still be under 70 lbs. USPS wants $22.80.

FWIW, R4551 was assembled in May and does have the MDU 7026 starter. Your Avanti would have been assembled after that and should have gotten the MDY starter.

If you do paypal or zelle, that would work for payment. I will message you with details, and you can get me your address.

I have attached a couple of pictures. It needs a little cleaning and paint. The drive teeth look to be in good condition.20230213_163913_001.thumb.jpg.eba039f43b7d3ecb75fdc49c24b44601.jpg20230213_163941.thumb.jpg.2abb33e8b0d0d5feef1841902dc2f2ed.jpg

That is a fair price! I do have Paypal, I will have to figure out how to put money into it, havent used it in a while. Paypal doesnt take a percentage do they?  I think I can figure it out, if not I will send a check, you can wait for it to clear... Here is my phone number, I will give you my address, you can give me your Paypal Email. Thanks again. 570 898 1992