Bonneville Studes!

mfg

Of the nine '64 Studebakers taken to Bonneville in 1963 to attempt  breaking several then existing speed records, I wonder how many still exist?

(not really a trivia question..simply a question)

9 hours ago, Nelson said:

That is an interesting question. I doubt if many are still standing. Maybe none.

I probably should have said ten...I forgot about the Due Cento! 

4 hours ago, Nelson said:

I thought you meant howmany records still stand

Yes Nelson I see what you mean..my question did sound like that...and it really would be interesting to know how many, if any, of Studebaker's 1963 Bonneville speed records still stand!

9 hours ago, Nelson said:

I own two of the convertibles.

Well, as the kids say today,...

THAT'S AWESOME !!!! 😀😀

Did Studebaker take two R3 Daytona convertibles and one R4 engined job to Bonneville?

Yes, #1 and 2 are both R3 car. Those two I own. There was also a R4 convertible. Serial number 1 convertible was a build mule for the 64 convertible and was actually built on a frame with no X member. I don’t think this car was ever intended to leave Studebaker and sold to the general public. However, in the total confusion at the end, Paxton ended up with the car and sold it. Paxton took advantage of no X member as the car was a little lighter than the sister car. It was equipped with a 3.31 gear as opposed to a 3.07 and was used for the standing start runs. The other car, #2, was used for long range runs and had the 3.07.

1 hour ago, Nelson said:

Yes, #1 and 2 are both R3 car. Those two I own. There was also a R4 convertible. Serial number 1 convertible was a build mule for the 64 convertible and was actually built on a frame with no X member. I don’t think this car was ever intended to leave Studebaker and sold to the general public. However, in the total confusion at the end, Paxton ended up with the car and sold it. Paxton took advantage of no X member as the car was a little lighter than the sister car. It was equipped with a 3.31 gear as opposed to a 3.07 and was used for the standing start runs. The other car, #2, was used for long range runs and had the 3.07.

This forum is GOOD!....

I say that because of all the 'new' information which has been posted lately...I'm sure I'm not the only person who finds this stuff VERY INTERESTING!! 🙂

13 hours ago, Nelson said:

There were two six cylinder cars at Bonneville, #6 and #7. Their engines were assigned a B# just like the R3 and R4’s. Also, their B numbers just happened to fall where they may in the B production sequence.

That's another interesting bit of info...I should have guessed the Granatellis also prepared the six cylinder Stude engines....I'd say their "B" engine numbers confirm that!

Also, I  didn't know Studebaker sent TWO six cylinder cars to Bonneville..but that also makes sense, with one probably being a backup.

On 2/11/2023 at 8:01 PM, Nelson said:

Brad. I don’t think so. I’m sure they were blue printed and probably lose but until someone opens one up it will be a mystery. However, one does exist, we know that.

Do you know if that 6 cyl car is in original condition?

(Has it been restored?)

• 2 weeks later...