R3 Install Questions

Anthony63

I am trying to figure out how I can put an R3 in my 63 Avanti without installing spacers between the body and chassis. I don't like how they sit with the spacers. Someone told me that I could install shims under the motor mounts. Has anyone ever done this? If so how large of a shim do I need?

I have an R3 in my '64 Avanti.  It was installed by WCD Garage in Massachusetts.  All they did was install thinner motor insulators.  There are two of these that fit between the motor mounts and the engine.  Dave Thibeault is one of the experts on these things.

--Dwight

15 hours ago, anthonyb63 said:

I am trying to figure out how I can put an R3 in my 63 Avanti without installing spacers between the body and chassis. I don't like how they sit with the spacers. Someone told me that I could install shims under the motor mounts. Has anyone ever done this? If so how large of a shim do I need?

The hood inner construction cross brace can be a sticking point for air box cleararance...'64 Avantis didn't have this issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I solved this clearance problem by lowering the engine a bit, smaller engine mount.  But also shaved 1/4 inch off of the sealing edge of the air box.  

2 hours ago, R3 Forward said:

I solved this clearance problem by lowering the engine a bit, smaller engine mount.  But also shaved 1/4 inch off of the sealing edge of the air box.  

How did you accomplish that?....Some type of milling machine?

On 2/22/2023 at 11:32 AM, mfg said:

How did you accomplish that?....Some type of milling machine?

I took the top side of the air box to a machinist and he used a milling machine to shave a 1/4 inch off of the sealing surface.  Don't remember what it cost but worked out well.   See Photo

IMG_0862.jpg

2 hours ago, R3 Forward said:

I took the top side of the air box to a machinist and he used a milling machine to shave a 1/4 inch off of the sealing surface.  Don't remember what it cost but worked out well.   See Photo

IMG_0862.jpg

Nice job...and GREAT idea!