What radiator was used in 87 Monte Carlo chassis Avanti?

Jim S

It's from Acme Radiator - Indiana.  Doubt if they are still around.  Try one of our suppliers - one of them supplied me with a brand new heater core years ago.

A good local radiator shop should be able to rebuild your current radiator.  They order cores by size and flow design.  You can specify more cooing fins per inch and increase cooling capability without increasing dimensional size.

When my 1991  had a small leak I removed it and took the radiator to the shop that was the best in town. They did the measuring and found I could upgrade the size of the internal tubing and make for more cooling and still have the same exterior sizing. They reused the end tanks and it dropped right back into the same slots.  

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Steve-Avanti said:

The 87 has a unique filler neck that differs from the Monte Carlo radiator.  Your best course of action is to have the original re-cored/rebuilt/welded by a reputable shop.

Yeah, I had that done twice.  The second time was harder - apparently what with aluminum radiators not many places around to have this re-coring done.  My mechanic sent my radiator out-of-state!

Just replaced the upper radiator hose on my '87.   Gates 25", 1.5 I.D.   Part number GAT25484 from Rock Auto.   Easy install and it was actually just a bit longer than the one I replaced.