Weather strip

Nelson

Are any of the 63, 64 and a few years later Avanti weatherstrips available by the foot rather than by the single application length. I would think the door surround rubber, trunk and hood rubber and upper door skin to window wiper rubber would be simple extrusions and possibly be available on the after market. I doubt if Avanti was the sole user of these extrusions.

9 hours ago, Nelson said:

Are any of the 63, 64 and a few years later Avanti weatherstrips available by the foot rather than by the single application length. I would think the door surround rubber, trunk and hood rubber and upper door skin to window wiper rubber would be simple extrusions and possibly be available on the after market. I doubt if Avanti was the sole user of these extrusions.

I'm actually looking for the same thing...have not had any luck as yet.

Over the years I've experimented with many different weatherstrips on the driver's side door opening of my '83 Avanti 'everyday driver'......(stubborn leak)

Tried everything from GM to Toyota!....still not completely happy with results.

3 hours ago, mfg said:

Over the years I've experimented with many different weatherstrips on the driver's side door opening of my '83 Avanti 'everyday driver'......(stubborn leak)

Tried everything from GM to Toyota!....still not completely happy with results.

are you 100% certain it is from the door rubber? I thought I had a waterleak from there and it turned out to be from a lack of sealant around the chrome molding on the A-pillar.

I removed it and sealed it so no water can get behind it and no more water in the car soaking the carpet at least from rain. I would not try it in an automatic car wash.

Still get plenty of wind noise from the door seals though when on the highway

Typically the wet front carpet on the Stude Avantis isn’t weatherstrip but rather from clogged or non functioning cowl drains. The water coming in through the cowl vent behind the hood drains down into the side of the cowl in front of the doors. It overflows out the lower hinge pocket down onto the threshold rubber and into the car. You can access this area for cleaning through the vents in the footwell. Try putting a hose through the cowl grill and see if the water runs out the bottom of the fender.or ends up running into the car. These drains were very often bondoed over when new.

10 hours ago, pantera928 said:

are you 100% certain it is from the door rubber? I thought I had a waterleak from there and it turned out to be from a lack of sealant around the chrome molding on the A-pillar.

I removed it and sealed it so no water can get behind it and no more water in the car soaking the carpet at least from rain. I would not try it in an automatic car wash.

Still get plenty of wind noise from the door seals though when on the highway

30 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Typically the wet front carpet on the Stude Avantis isn’t weatherstrip but rather from clogged or non functioning cowl drains. The water coming in through the cowl vent behind the hood drains down into the side of the cowl in front of the doors. It overflows out the lower hinge pocket down onto the threshold rubber and into the car. You can access this area for cleaning through the vents in the footwell. Try putting a hose through the cowl grill and see if the water runs out the bottom of the fender.or ends up running into the car. These drains were very often bondoed over when new.

Very good ideas!

I'll do my detective work on this...

Thank you gents!