1963 to 1964 AVANTI CHANGES

Rick Allen

Among a variety of other changes, some very noticeable and some not so noticeable, it seems in '64 Studebaker went from chrome plated to painted valve covers so what color were they painted in '64?

Also, I see on several websites listing standard and optional equipment that disc brakes are listed as standard (which I knew) but no mention of power brakes as being std. and power brakes are not listed as optional, so all Avanti with disc brakes also were power brakes?

Yes…all Avanti disc brakes were power assisted.

I’ve never seen a ‘63 or ‘64 Avanti that didn’t come with chromed valve covers as standard.   Photos of prototypes show painted valve covers but they would have been swapped to chrome before being given new serial numbers and other upgrades before being sold in 1964.  The valley cover was originally chromed and changed to painted black.

10 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

Yes…all Avanti disc brakes were power assisted.

I’ve never seen a ‘63 or ‘64 Avanti that didn’t come with chromed valve covers as standard.   Photos of prototypes show painted valve covers but they would have been swapped to chrome before being given new serial numbers and other upgrades before being sold in 1964.  The valley cover was originally chromed and changed to painted black.

Thank you for clearing that up; I read that the "valve lifter covers" were changed from chrome to black, guess because "covers" was plural, I was thinking valve covers, not lifter cover, see attached,,,thanks

63_to_64_changes.png.fba8f91e4b455eaeb919309b46a96395.png                                                                                                                 

They always forget to mention, the trunk access panel (inside) was given hinges instead of simple hooks so it doesn't come out over bumps any more. Also, NEVER mentioned is, the wiring harness clips under the hood are wider on 64 models.

Edited by brad