Avanti Hood!

mfg

Hos did the Granatellis manage to get the hood of Studebaker Avanti 63R1025 to close over its R3 carb enclosure without shimming the body, as was done on the nine production R3 Avantis?

19 minutes ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

Thin motor insulators?

--Dwight

Not sure if the thin mounts were employed or not, however, that wasn't the 'trick'!

Any other thoughts?

8 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Cut the hood brace for hose clearanc

Yes, the hood inner construction cross brace was cut for air chamber to blower hose clearance...but that was not how the hood was able to be completely shut.

Well if raising the body up is not it, and thinner motor mounts is not it to lower the motor, and changing the hinges and latches is wrong, how about cutting down the hight of the carb enclosure housing?

37 minutes ago, Stacey said:

Well if raising the body up is not it, and thinner motor mounts is not it to lower the motor, and changing the hinges and latches is wrong, how about cutting down the hight of the carb enclosure housing?

Good thought but no...however, you are on the right track when you speak of "cutting" ! 😯

16 minutes ago, pantera928 said:

I never knew they hod "hos"..."Hos did the Granatellis manage"🤣

THey cut the hood

Nope, did not cut hood. ( other than part of the transverse brace)

I know but I won't give the answer; instead I will post an enormous visual clue. "I spy, with my little eye."

This was during my first prolonged visit to Maine, summer of 2012. It was the first year my dad and I started repairing my 10/1997 wreck. A couple casualties of that are also visible.

GOPR0106 for web.jpg

Edited by GeoffC312
Added a hintful quote.

Yeah, look at the "self clearancing" the crank pulley did to the steering rod. I may brighten the image more and really showcase that canyon.

You're not going to get that engine much lower. Also, increasing crank pulley diameter to spin the blower faster is not an option.

Here, I found other pictures I took that may show more vividly than just tweaking the RGB & HSV levels in the above image.

IMGP0806 cropped.jpg

IMGP0811 cropped.jpg

Edited by GeoffC312