Avanti 63R1007

mfg

I've always wondered how/when the late John Hora acquired Avanti 63R1007 from Studebaker (or the Granatellis?)......Does anyone know the story?

I personally consider #9 to be "TOP SHELF", and perhaps the most historic of the 'historic' Studebaker Avantis!

i remember when #9 was for sale in Texas for, I believe, $8k. A ton of money in the 70’s. I think that’s when Hora bought it. I know george Krem performed service on it in the Chicago Area at a Stude dealership where he was working. I think Vince said it was for sale at that time.

The #9 has nothing to do with serial number…it’s the number assigned it at the Bonneville Salt Flats by the USAC or whomever was the authorities of the time trials.  There was also the #8 car which was an Avanti…I believe the #5 car was a GT Hawk…and so on.  #9 happened to be the car that made the record runs…#8 was supposed to but it had an overheating problem so the honors fell to #9.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2023 at 11:00 AM, Gunslinger said:

The #9 has nothing to do with serial number…it’s the number assigned it at the Bonneville Salt Flats by the USAC or whomever was the authorities of the time trials.  There was also the #8 car which was an Avanti…I believe the #5 car was a GT Hawk…and so on.  #9 happened to be the car that made the record runs…#8 was supposed to but it had an overheating problem so the honors fell to #9.

It's amazing to me that both 'Bonneville' Avantis still exist, and are both in gorgeous shape!!

I can’t speak to #9…but the #8 car has been completely rebuilt.  It’s history is pretty convoluted…multiple owners…less than fine care…several engine changes…a fire.  It’s a wonder the car survived long enough to be rebuilt properly.

I have a number of photos I took of it when it languished in a shop a few miles from where I used to live.