Paxton R4!

mfg

• 1 month later...

Yeah, there was some other things missing on cars over the years.  The last Daytona had a missing shift ball knob, and the Scepter has been shown without it's original triangular wheel covers. I think the fuel pump was "missing" on the R4. 

Nice photo!.....If R4's had been built in  quantity, I wonder if there would hsve been a recurring blown head gasket problem.....

(considering the super-high compression ratio!)

38 minutes ago, Footer said:

What is the tube coming up from the pan?  Mike

As the R3's & R4's did not utilize a 'closed' crankcase ventilation system, that tube functioned as a crankcase vent or breather......

Avantis delivered to California would probably have had the closed breather setup.

All Avanti engines (R1, 2, 3, 4, whether installed in an Avanti, Lark, or Hawk)) have a tube mounted on the passenger side of the oil pan (as on the R4 engine pictured) and coming up by the right rocker cover.  The R1 & R2 engines have a shorter one; The R3 & R4 engines have a longer one, as on this R4.  AFAIK, there are two types of long (R3-R4) tubes: 1) for PCV (pictured) and 2) for non-PCV (has breather cap).

--Dwight

42 minutes ago, Footer said:

It’s been a long time but I don’t remember one on my 64 R1 Daytona. Mike

It could be that your oil pan had been changed out for an ordinary one.  In any event, that tube is difficult to see.  Attached are pix of my '64 Hawk R1. The large hose from the top of the tube goes to the air cleaner and is part of the PCV system (also small hose to carb base).  The parts catalog shows the PCV tube as P/N 1557752, for all R1 or R2, for 63V and 64V.

--Dwight

PCV system, 1964 Hawk R1 (1).JPG

PCV system, 1964 Hawk R1 (2).JPG

Thanks Dwight. Not surprising I wouldn’t remember that tube since I sold that dark blue 64 R1 4spd Daytona 49 years ago!  I drove it 25 miles and back to college every day. Wonder how many R4’s were daily drivers?

13 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

It could be that your oil pan had been changed out for an ordinary one.  In any event, that tube is difficult to see.  Attached are pix of my '64 Hawk R1. The large hose from the top of the tube goes to the air cleaner and is part of the PCV system (also small hose to carb base).  The parts catalog shows the PCV tube as P/N 1557752, for all R1 or R2, for 63V and 64V.

--Dwight

PCV system, 1964 Hawk R1 (1).JPG

PCV system, 1964 Hawk R1 (2).JPG

When Studebaker  reconfigured the passenger side inner skirt for the '63- '64 GT Hawks, things really got tight at the right side of the engine!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 9:02 AM, Footer said:

Thanks Dwight. Not surprising I wouldn’t remember that tube since I sold that dark blue 64 R1 4spd Daytona 49 years ago!  I drove it 25 miles and back to college every day. Wonder how many R4’s were daily drivers?

There was only 1 production car built with an R4 engine, a 1964 Daytona that was featured in the old Car Life magazine from February 1964.  For his story, editor Gene Booth worked several days as a "temporary" Studebaker employee to build the 1964 Daytona, starting in the engine foundry and ending on the body line where he worked to build the car.  Following the story build, he wrote the road test of this R4 Daytona.

tn_cl26446_jpg.jpg