Avanti Delivery!

mfg

9 minutes ago, pantera928 said:

false

TRUE😜

1 hour ago, Stacey said:

Way back then when paper was cheap, I would think they did try to protect the seat. So I say yes

You are correct about protection...however, not with paper!

20 minutes ago, pantera928 said:

false

False is correct.... reason being Studebaker did not protect the front bucket seats in their beautiful new Avanti with PAPER....they completely covered those seats in clear PLASTIC!

OK - just to satisfy my feeble mind - what kind of 'plastic' are you talking about?  The kind my parents had on the living room couch!  Sure, I thought about 'plastic' for the answer (I mean burlap) Stude was cheap but Hey!  My mechanic is so cheap I made my own PAPER floor Mats with his name on them!😬

In my case I took delivery of a new Avanti in October of 1963. It was dealer traded between a established dealer on Long Island, New York to newly appointed dealer in New Jersey. Both being hardly rural areas.

I received no seat protection , no window sticker, and no warranty documents. I still own this car and have been hoping this was perhaps a oversight and some day I might receive from Studebaker Corporation all that was missing on that delivery day in October.

Bob Caser

2 hours ago, wdaly said:

OK - just to satisfy my feeble mind - what kind of 'plastic' are you talking about?  The kind my parents had on the living room Yrs !  Sure, I thought about 'plastic' for the answer (I mean burlap) Stude was cheap but Hey!  My mechanic is so cheap I made my own PAPER floor Mats with his name on them!😬

Yes, clear plastic like what might have been used on your parents couch.....How do I know?.......I saw this plastic covering on beautiful turquoise  bucket seats in a brand new white Studebaker Avanti back in '63.

4 minutes ago, bob caser said:

In my case I took delivery of a new Avanti in October of 1963. It was dealer traded between a established dealer on Long Island, New York to newly appointed dealer in New Jersey. Both being hardly rural areas.

I received no seat protection , no window sticker, and no warranty documents. I still own this car and have been hoping this was perhaps a oversight and some day I might receive from Studebaker Corporation all that was missing on that delivery day in October.

Bob Caser

I think it's wonderful that you still own the Avanti which you purchased brand new in '63....HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN SAY THAT???

As far as not having any factory protrctive seat covering... I can only surmise one of the two dealers possibly removed it before you got your car...?

As an aside......a period auto magazine ran a multi page article entitled "Studebaker....how far forward?"

A photograph in this article shows an interior shot of a newly completed Avanti just before it left the factory....guess what can be seen?

13 hours ago, bob caser said:

Bob Caser

Same thing happened to me.  Wisconsin dealer got my car from Chicago dealer (1988).  When the car arrived I didn't even think about the window sticker until later - bet I overpaid!

13 hours ago, mfg said:

As an aside......a period auto magazine ran a multi page article entitled "Studebaker....how far forward?"

A photograph in this article shows an interior shot of a newly completed Avanti just before it left the factory....guess what can be seen?

Not to second guess you but I can't help wondering were these plastic seat covers in fact an add-on accessory?

The Avanti like other Studebaker models had disposable thin plastic covers installed at the factory to protect the seats.

These were not the thick clear plastic covers used for furniture.

The covers were not removed until we delivered the car to the customer or the car was used for showroom display.

3 hours ago, wdaly said:

Not to second guess you but I can't help wondering were these plastic seat covers in fact an add-on accessory?

I go with plastic temporary seat covers installed at Studebaker factory in the new Avantis. (not sure of the 'mil' thickness !!)

Never saw them in the other new Studebaker models at that time.

Edited by mfg

3 hours ago, regnalbob said:

The Avanti like other Studebaker models had disposable thin plastic covers installed at the factory to protect the seats.

Being around a Stude dealership, you would remember this....so the Lark types, and the Hawks, also arrived with covered front seats!