What chassis were the 1989 Cafaro convertible cars built on?

JensenHealey

Can anyone positively identify what chassis a late 1989 Convertible Cafaro built car would have been built on?

I understand the GM G body chassis was only built through 1988 so what did the Cafaro Youngstown factory do for the 1989 cars?

Did they continue to somehow source 1988 G body cars and use that for the 1989 and 1990 cars or did they somehow transition to using a Caprice chassis?

17 hours ago, JensenHealey said:

Can anyone positively identify what chassis a late 1989 Convertible Cafaro built car would have been built on?

I am fairly Positive it was all Caprice.

But every time I mention that possibility to someone else they wonder about the wheelbase length. Was the Caprice chassis the right wheelbase for the Avanti or did they have do some work to cut the chassis down? According to google the 1987 - 1988 G body cars were 108" wheelbase and a 1989 Caprice was 116"

What did they do with that extra 8 inches? Or are the 1989 Convertibles 8 inches longer than the 1988 cars?

Edited by JensenHealey

16 minutes ago, JensenHealey said:

But every time I mention that possibility to someone else they wonder about the wheelbase length. Was the Caprice chassis the right wheelbase for the Avanti or did they have do some work to cut the chassis down? According to google the 1987 - 1988 G body cars were 108" wheelbase and a 1989 Caprice was 116"

What did they do with that extra 8 inches? Or are the 1989 Convertibles 8 inches longer than the 1988 cars?

I read somewhere that it was a cut down Caprice Chassis

1 hour ago, pantera928 said:

I read somewhere that it was a cut down Caprice Chassis

I seem to recall that as well.

Interesting topic, and it peaked my curiosity. In 1987 Kelly introduced the LSC model Avanti featuring an additional 8" of legroom in the rear passenger compartment. According to the 1987 sales brochure this made the LSC a total of 9" longer than the classic coupe. The sales brochure also states that the LSC had a completely new frame and suspension system. So my question would be was the LSC also built on the G-Body chassis, or possibly on the Caprice chassis? I also read somewhere that the wheelbase of LSC is 9" longer than that of the coupe and convertible. Could they have extended the wheelbase of a G-Body chassis to accommodate the additional 9"? Just curious.

5 minutes ago, Thom said:

The sales brochure also states that the LSC had a completely new frame and suspension system. So my question would be was the LSC also built on the G-Body chassis, or possibly on the Caprice chassis? I also read somewhere that the wheelbase of LSC is 9" longer than that of the coupe and convertible. Could they have extended the wheelbase of a G-Body chassis to accommodate the additional 9"? Just curious.

The, "Completely new frame and suspension" Was the Monte Carlo.  The Caprice would require major body mounting changes ('89-90).  So the G-Body was extended for the LSC (think I remember this).  I don't know if the 4 door used a full Caprice chassis or if it was 'cut' as well (thinking it wasn't cut).🤔  They were forced to go with the Caprice after '88 as Monte Carlos were no longer produced.

17 minutes ago, Thom said:

Interesting topic, and it peaked my curiosity. In 1987 Kelly introduced the LSC model Avanti featuring an additional 8" of legroom in the rear passenger compartment. According to the 1987 sales brochure this made the LSC a total of 9" longer than the classic coupe. The sales brochure also states that the LSC had a completely new frame and suspension system. So my question would be was the LSC also built on the G-Body chassis, or possibly on the Caprice chassis? I also read somewhere that the wheelbase of LSC is 9" longer than that of the coupe and convertible. Could they have extended the wheelbase of a G-Body chassis to accommodate the additional 9"? Just curious.

Not sure, but an Avanti LSC owner once said that a Chev El Camino chassis was used.

1 hour ago, mfg said:

Not sure, but an Avanti LSC owner once said that a Chev El Camino chassis was used.

Man, my brain needs refurbishing.  You made me use it again and Yes that does come to mind (damn Avainti).  According to a quick search the El Camino was a G-Body except it had a 117.1 wheelbase!

Thank you gentlemen, the El Camino chassis would sound reasonable as I had read that the LSC wheelbase was 9" longer than the Coupe and the Coupe was mounted on the Monte Carlo Chassis with a wheelbase of 108". Thus the El Camino chassis with the 117" wheelbase would be logical.

If it wasn't for 'MFG' my re-formatted brain wouldn't have even given this a second thought -----------what a guy😵

I have also heard that the factory had a working deal with some insurance [company / companies] to pick up said wrecked GM cars as a source for frames. Since Avanti Motors Corp. was working with "post-production finds" it might be plausible they were able to "extend" a GM model year chassis because wrecks may happen at any time (after build date).

Makes sense.  I'm thinking there were plenty of these discontinued M Carlos available new anyway ('87-'88 a little over 300 cars built as Avantis).  Also, the new M. Carlos had other parts used to build Avantis.

On 1/9/2023 at 8:42 PM, GeoffC312 said:

I have also heard that the factory had a working deal with some insurance [company / companies] to pick up said wrecked GM cars as a source for frames. Since Avanti Motors Corp. was working with "post-production finds" it might be plausible they were able to "extend" a GM model year chassis because wrecks may happen at any time (after build date).

Wonder if there were a few 0wners that Carfaxed and wondered about first owner of the "Avanti" with the "Avanti Frame"

I was told that they went to the GM dealership and bought either a Monte Carlo, or Caprice and remove the body for the Avanti body to be put on. Buy having a new GM vehicle/drive line gave them a way to offer a GM 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty. Was that true?

I've read something similar (about the dealers).  One reason (other than no Stude frames left and not having to develop a whole new platform) they automatically had pre-approved crash testing I would think.

16 hours ago, wdaly said:

I've read something similar (about the dealers).  One reason (other than no Stude frames left and not having to develop a whole new platform) they automatically had pre-approved crash testing I would think.

More importantly - emissions. Not sure about crash as I believe they test with the body mounted. It sure didn't hurt to start with a well engineered frame, though.

• 3 weeks later...

I just spoke with Randy Ellis who worked at the Avanti plant in 1988 - 1989 (maybe through 1990 as well) and he says one way to identify what chassis the later cars (Youngstown cars) were built on is by the position of the gas tank. If it is a car built on the Monte Carlo or Regal chassis then the gas tank will be behind the rear seat above the frame and the spare tire will be recessed into the floor of the trunk. If it is a later car (1988 or 1989 and up after the rear wheel drive Monte Carlo and Regal G-body cars were discontinued) then these cars were built on the Caprice chassis that had approximately 7 inches removed from it. He said the gas tank on these cars sits below the floor of the trunk and the spare tire sits up inside the trunk. So identifying the location of the gas tank is the easiest way to tell what chassis was used to a particular car in those years.

Well my spare tire is laying flat under the trunk floor, has a lift up carpeted cover. The fuel tank is right behind the rear axle stuffed up in front of the trunk floor.

23 minutes ago, Stacey said:

Well my spare tire is laying flat under the trunk floor, has a lift up carpeted cover. The fuel tank is right behind the rear axle stuffed up in front of the trunk floor.

Also, if your gas door is up by the rear pillar - battery on left side front - hood opening latch mechanism involves 2 latch rods - outside mirrors not attached to window frames - headlight housing has  metal trim frame used to secure plastic lense  - -  And More  - -  you have the Monte Carlo.  PLUS you have front vent windows and the rear side windows prop open.

Edited by wdaly
more items

23 hours ago, wdaly said:

Also, if your gas door is up by the rear pillar - battery on left side front - hood opening latch mechanism involves 2 latch rods - outside mirrors not attached to window frames - headlight housing has  metal trim frame used to secure plastic lense  - -  And More  - -  you have the Monte Carlo.  PLUS you have front vent windows and the rear side windows prop open.

This doesn't apply to me as I have a 1991, and battery is on the right side, one prop rod, but have looked at the convertibles with what your saying as the layout.