POWER STEERING RESERVOIR LEAK

studequest

20230106_170146.thumb.jpg.89cc0e0f67debe20817af0f6dc25ece5.jpg

GURUS!

On my 63 R2 4 speed.. we replaced the oil pan gasket and rear main seal.  I noticed some drippage from the power steering ram.

Russ Ware had a completely rebuilt ram I purchased.

We put it in the car  and it leaked from the end of the Ram.

Bob Halgren resealed it and it now appears to be fine at the end. 

HOWEVER, we had a large leak from the reservoir

We removed it from the car and filled it with fluid and checked for any cracks on the bottom. None notice

We removed the large 1 Inch bolt which holds the threaded stud  and oval plate at the bottom of the reservoir  and looked at the seals.

One appeared to be torn., 

We replaced the seals with the flat rubber seals.

We noticed the 2 holes on the base plate that the reservoir sits on are threaded – one to receive the bolt for the stud and nothing for the other hole. Appears to 5/8 x 18 fine thread. The  workshop manual does not show another bolt. 

I seem to remember that the other hole had a filter on my other 1963 R1 Avanti

How do we combat this leakage.??  We clearly are not getting  the pressure to compress the seals to stop the leakage.

It pours out at a pretty good rate. 

Bob Halgren gave me some thick round o rings.. could those be used. They are thick and round and the correct dimension

Should we fit a bolt into the open hole and drill it to pass the fluid.

Should we eliminate the seals and fashion a paper gasket? 

Should we use heavy round O rings? 

I am at a loss.

I show a picture with a screw driver into the open threaded channel        `

Thanks Keith

Not sure how to help but does it leak with the engine NOT RUNNING?

from your description it sounds like someone else has been working on it and they probably didn’t know what they were doing..torn seals, not worn seals

Edited by Nelson

I should have said worn seal - only one.  As I mentioned the ram started to leak and that was repaired and then we noticed continued leak which we traced to the reservoir..  Down onto the inner fender and finally the floor.  This R2 has air conditioning.  Th battery is in the trunk and the power steering was moved over to where the long eee battery used to be,  It has a custom bracket.  We double checked all  of the reservoir for leaks

IT was dripping just standing and it gushes with engine running and turning side to side

You can see it flowing out from above 

I am shooting from the hip as I’m on the road with no reference shop manual but…when you put the ram back on did you put the hoses back on the ram in the correct location not reversed? Also, I seem to remember a deflector in the reservoir that keeps the return fluid under control and not blowing against the lid. Maybe I’m just dreaming that? Also, could you have a cracked fitting or lose fitting hose to pump?

I am shooting from the hip as I’m on the road with no reference shop manual but…when you put the ram back on did you put the hoses back on the ram in the correct location not reversed?  PUT BACK SAME WAY

Also, I seem to remember a deflector in the reservoir that keeps the return fluid under control and not blowing against the lid. Maybe I’m just dreaming that? Also, could you have a cracked fitting or lose fitting hose to pump? CHECKED ALL OF THAT ..COULD NOT FIND ANY'YES THERE IS WAHT APPEARS TO BE A DEFLECTOR

SEAL ON THE LID WAS GLUDED DOWN AND IS IN PLACE

CLEARLY LEAKS FROM THE BOTTOM

I recently went through all of the above, several times. even cut hoses while turning because of the close clearances. Like Nelson stated I to had the hoses reversed and it poured out. I bet I went through 10 quarts getting everything correct. Finally I now have zero leaks. Recheck all of your connections for the being in the right location and recheck for tightness of cross threaded connections. There is no splash on my 63 r2 4 speed. I have a lose rubber seal held only by the cap and the wing nut and it does not leak anymore.