Factory R4 engine photo in an Avanti

Nelson

Many years ago I ran across a factory photo of an R4 engine installation in an Avanti. It was an over engine bay shot either with the hood off or possibly the support removed and hood at a vertical position. I’ve asked Richard Quinn and Andy Beckman if either remember seeing the photo but neither one can remember seeing it. Has anybody seen this photo or have access to it?

10 hours ago, 1963r2 said:

1963 Studebaker Avanti R4 - Reader Ride (tradeuniquecars.com.au)

Probably not what you are after but it has some photos.

Peter

Peter. Thanks but not what I’m trying to find. I saw the photo possibly forty years ago and may have been at the Studebaker archives well before any museum. It was a glossy, 5x7 (?) black and white. Definitely a factory photo as it was taken in a building or studio with no discreet background. Those photos are generally detailed enough that you can examine small detain or body tag under the hood.

Edited by Nelson

In SDC forum its said that R4 was only made by Studebaker to 64 Daytona hardtop, four more R4 cars.... Daytona convertibles/GT Hawks for testing/speed runs at Bonneville. No Avanti.
Read more: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/97470-did-studebaker-build-any-r4-engines

You find also R4 emblem and factory photo engine in Daytona R4 (first page).

At termination of production R4 engine could be bought from Paxton Products Division.
https://www.studebaker-info.org/AVDB1/R2000/63R2328/R2328.html

Hope this helps.

Edited by Leo B

Thanks, Leo. I am aware of the documented R4 cars but I am also certain Studebaker had an R4 engine installed in an Avanti, probably as a preproduction car. Many years ago I actually saw the factory photograph of the car, probably when I was doing some research at the archives prior to the museum. I’m sure that photo still exists somewhere but I’m having trouble finding it.

Leo, I have R1016 which was the factory mule used at Paxton for R3/4 experimentation. It had at least one R3 engine in it during road tests. However, when it left Paxton I’m fairly sure it was equipped with an R4. In 1968 it still had the R4 but had the R3 blower setup on it. I’m trying to figure out the history on this car. Original owner is gone so information is getting difficult to track down.

As you can see, no one knows for sure. I hope you get this sorted out. Are there still people here who worked at the factory back then? Even pictures do not always tell the truth if their place and time cannot be proven. If I understood correctly... if Studebaker installed one R4 to Avanti, it was done as a test or made-to-order build. I hope you can figure out this historical matter.

Edited by Leo B

It would make sense for Studebaker to have test fitted a R4 engine into an Avanti for measurements and clearances.  You don’t wait for it to be made a production option without knowing how it’s built and assembled.  Without such measurements how do you produce special parts and know costs?

10 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

It would make sense for Studebaker to have test fitted a R4 engine into an Avanti for measurements and clearances.  You don’t wait for it to be made a production option without knowing how it’s built and assembled.  Without such measurements how do you produce special parts and know costs?

Exactly. Finding the photograph I’m talking about may have the body number visible from the aerial shot that I remember

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Nelson said:

That R4 appears to be a later installation not the one I’m trying to locate. The windshield wiper motor gives it away as later than 1963.

In the photo, is that some type of soft pad on top of air cleaner to stop chaffing against hood bottom?