Avanti Event!

mfg

Here on the AOAI website in the “Avanti Story” by Don Jones…it’s clearly stated that on April 25, 1962 the Avanti was introduced at the NY Auto and also at the Studebaker stockholders meeting in South Bend.  Mr. Jones stated that immediately following those events the cars were taken by aircraft on a national tour of twenty-four cities.  Whether that means the tour began that day or once events concluded isn’t clear.

What else could have occurred that day that qualifies as “momentous” I don’t know…maybe mfg’s birthday?

16 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

Here on the AOAI website in the “Avanti Story” by Don Jones…it’s clearly stated that on April 25, 1962 the Avanti was introduced at the NY Auto and also at the Studebaker stockholders meeting in South Bend.  Mr. Jones stated that immediately following those events the cars were taken by aircraft on a national tour of twenty-four cities.  Whether that means the tour began that day or once events concluded isn’t clear.

What else could have occurred that day that qualifies as “momentous” I don’t know…maybe mfg’s birthday?

I've always understood that the Studebaker Avanti was introduced to the shareholders in South Bend, and at the NY New Car Auto Show on 4/26/62?

Your one day off, but who's counting??

3 hours ago, mfg said:

I've always understood that the Studebaker Avanti was introduced to the shareholders in South Bend, and at the NY New Car Auto Show on 4/26/62?

Your one day off, but who's counting??

Your problem is not with me but Don Jones.  

On 1/1/2023 at 9:55 PM, Gunslinger said:

Your problem is not with me but Don Jones.  

Time for the answer folks?

Edited by mfg
text correction

6 minutes ago, mfg said:

CLOSE ENOUGH !!!!!

Studebaker Avanti sets world production top speed record of 171.10 at Bonneville!

So how many trips to Bonneville did the Granatellis make to Bonneville in 1962? According to the Car Life article, the date for the big bunch of USAC records set in '62 was August 13-14, 1962. See part of that article pasted below, red arrow points to note with dates.

Avanti 1962 Speed Runs Car Life.jpg

36 minutes ago, r1lark said:

So how many trips to Bonneville did the Granatellis make to Bonneville in 1962? According to the Car Life article, the date for the big bunch of USAC records set in '62 was August 13-14, 1962. See part of that article pasted below, red arrow points to note with dates.

Avanti 1962 Speed Runs Car Life.jpg

Not sure, but I suppose they could  have snuck an R3 Avanti out there to see just what it could do!

(pre speed runs?)

On 12/31/2022 at 10:10 PM, mfg said:

What was the important event in the historic story of the Studebaker Avanti that occurred on 4/25/62?

4 minutes ago, mfg said:

Not sure, but I suppose they could  have snuck an R3 Avanti out there to see just what it could do!

(pre speed runs?)

Nothing happened on that date.

At the time only two prototype Avantis were built, one was in New York for the auto show and the second was in South Bend for the Shareholders Meeting for the unveiling on April 26, 1962.

There were no R-3s available at that time.

1 hour ago, regnalbob said:

Nothing happened on that date.

At the time only two prototype Avantis were built, one was in New York for the auto show and the second was in South Bend for the Shareholders Meeting for the unveiling on April 26, 1962.

There were no R-3s available at that time.

Well bobby, you certainly are entitled to your opinion...however, this time instead of pestering me, you need to contact the source of this info....the composer of the 2023 AOAI Calendar...Thanks!