Fanned Avanti!

mfg

The viscous engine fan factory installed on an R2 powered '64 Studebaker Daytona is not the same diameter as a '64 Studebaker Avanti  viscous engine fan........True?

(standard fan..not Hi-Po!)

Edited by mfg
Added text

I would believe due to the Daytona’s higher hood line there is more room for a bigger diameter fan.  With a vertical rather than slanted radiator there would be a greater area for the fan to cover.

6 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

I would believe due to the Daytona’s higher hood line there is more room for a bigger diameter fan.  With a vertical rather than slanted radiator there would be a greater area for the fan to cover.

6 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

Yes, that makes sense.

19 hours ago, mfg said:

Makes sense, however the R2 Daytona's fan is considerably larger in diameter.

Answer...True!

And once again, I had the correct answer but it did not post due to a time limit between posts. AARRRGH!

Yes, the viscous fan used on Avsnti powered  '63-'64 'Lark Types' is significantly larger in diameter than what would be found on a '63-'64 Avanti.....Lack of a fan shroud, and a down flow as opposed to crossflow radiator, may have had something to do with that.

4 hours ago, mfg said:

Yes, the viscous fan used on Avsnti powered  '63-'64 'Lark Types' is significantly larger in diameter than what would be found on a '63-'64 Avanti.....Lack of a fan shroud, and a down flow as opposed to crossflow radiator, may have had something to do with that.

Avanti-powered 1964 Lark-types did have a fan shroud.  It is steel and, I think, might have also been used on taxis and police cars.  I have an R1-powered '64 Cruiser and it has this steel shroud.  At one time Dave Thibeault had some reproductions made of these.

--Dwight

16 minutes ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

Avanti-powered 1964 Lark-types did have a fan shroud.  It is steel and, I think, might have also been used on taxis and police cars.  I have an R1-powered '64 Cruiser and it has this steel shroud.  At one time Dave Thibeault had some reproductions made of these.

--Dwight

Hmmmm..interesting!..... There was no shroud whatsoever on the '64 Studebaker Daytona 'Super Lark' which I purchased from original owner several years ago...  Had full factory 'Super' package, R2 supercharged, Powershift....And it was a completely stock, 56K car when I bought it.....Some '64's may have had a shroud...others apparently didn't!

6 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

--Dwight

Interestingly, fan shrouds [for Larks] are not listed in the green page "Jet Thrust Equipment" in the '59-'64 Lark/Hawk parts catalog. They are listed in the 'regular' white page Cooling section, under Group 506, and are shown as 'special order and air conditioning'. (There are even shrouds listed for 6 cylinder Larks with a/c -- I've got one on my OHV 6 '64 Commander, purchased many years ago from Newman & Altman when I added a/c to it.)

Edited by r1lark
added clarification: [for Larks]

34 minutes ago, r1lark said:

Interestingly, fan shrouds are not listed in the green page "Jet Thrust Equipment" in the '59-'64 Lark/Hawk parts catalog. They are listed in the 'regular' white page Cooling section, under Group 506, and are shown as 'special order and air conditioning'. (There are even shrouds listed for 6 cylinder Larks with a/c -- I've got one on my OHV 6 '64 Commander, purchased many years ago from Newman & Altman when I added a/c to it.)

Yes, with the large size of the viscous fan used on the '64 Daytona R2, I really doubt there would be room for a fan shroud!

Edited by mfg
added text

10 minutes ago, mfg said:

Yes, with the size of the viscous fan on the R2, I really doubt there would be room for a fan shroud!

Actually, air conditioned Larks/Hawks would get the same viscous fan assembly as the R1/R2 Hawks/Larks.

20 minutes ago, r1lark said:

Actually, air conditioned Larks/Hawks would get the same viscous fan assembly as the R1/R2 Hawks/Larks.

Would like to see photo of that install.

Also Paul, do you know if both fans have same p/n?

39 minutes ago, mfg said:

Would like to see photo of that install.

Also Paul, do you know if both fans have same p/n?

p/n 1560257 Viscous Fan Drive Assy -- listed for 1963/1964 for special order and/or air conditioning in the 'regular' Lark/Hawk section, as well as listed in the green "Jet Thrust Equipment" section for 1963/1964.

p/n 1558715 Fan Blades - 5 blade -- listed for 1963/1964 for special order and/or air conditioning in the 'regular' Lark/Hawk section. 

The p/n 1558715 Fan Blades is not listed in the green Jet Thrust Equipment section, but the same fan blade was used on viscous drive Lark/Hawk Jet Thrust engines and air conditioned '63/'64 Larks/Hawks. Both my R1 Lark and R1 Hawk have the same viscous drive/fan blade assembly as the '63/'64 air conditioned Larks/Hawks.

1 minute ago, r1lark said:

p/n 1560257 Viscous Fan Drive Assy -- listed for 1963/1964 for special order and/or air conditioning in the 'regular' Lark/Hawk section, as well as listed in the green "Jet Thrust Equipment" section for 1963/1964.

p/n 1558715 Fan Blades - 5 blade -- listed for 1963/1964 for special order and/or air conditioning in the 'regular' Lark/Hawk section. 

The p/n 1558715 Fan Blades is not listed in the green Jet Thrust Equipment section, but the same fan blade was used on viscous drive Lark/Hawk Jet Thrust engines and air conditioned '63/'64 Larks/Hawks. Both my R1 Lark and R1 Hawk have the same viscous drive/fan blade assembly as the '63/'64 air conditioned Larks/Hawks.

Thanks for the info Paul....when you have time, would you please measure the diameter of the fan on your R1 Lark...Thank you.....I'd like to  compare it to diameter of standard Avanti viscous fan.

(which was basis of original question)

8 minutes ago, mfg said:

Thanks for the info Paul....when you have time, would you please measure the diameter of the fan on your R1 Lark...Thank you.....I'd like to  compare it to diameter of standard Avanti viscous fan.

(which was basis of original question)

I will, or I'll measure one of the spares I have. In fact, I'll get the Lark fan shroud off the pegboard and take a picture of the fan assembly in the shroud.

None of the fan blade part numbers in the Avanti parts manual match the Lark/Hawk part number of 1558715.

Edited by r1lark

Just now, r1lark said:

I will, or I'll measure one of the spares I have. 

None of the fan blade part numbers in the Avanti parts manual match the Lark/Hawk part number of 1558715.

Yes, I'm quite certain the Avanti unit is smaller in diameter....now I'd like to know how much smaller..Thanks. 

The Lark/Hawk fan blade for the viscous drive is 18" diameter. Below is a pic with the tape measure (if it can be read), and also a picture of the assembly inside the correct '63/'64 Lark fan shroud.

IMG_20230104_144200520.jpg

IMG_20230104_144344647.jpg

Thank you for your efforts here Paul!

This confirms that the 'Lark type' viscous fan blades are larger in diameter than the comparable Avanti unit.....

The only thing that throws me is the fan shroud.....and why my Super Lark wasn't equipped with one?

Perhaps we'll here from other owners of Lark types equipped with Avanti engines, and see if their cars have factory fan shrouds or not!

Thanks again....Ed

17 hours ago, r1lark said:

I'm not convinced that the fan shroud was part of the Lark High Performance Package. I'll try to dig out the list of the package components.

Paul....from the general shape of the fan shroud in the 'Bonneville' R4 Daytona photo...I surmise the Granatellis were running one of the smaller diameter 'Avanti size' fans on that R4 engine.....not the 18" factory R1- R2 'Lark type' engine fan.