Controls

John Henne

I'm new to this forum and haven't quite got it figured out yet, but I need some help. I just bought an '87 Avanti which runs and drives well, handles well, etc. However the interior is thrashed. The driver's power window wont operate, the heater/ac/vent controls are broken (the fan works), and the wipers wont go.

I think the wiper motor is working as the volt meter jumps up and down when I turn them on. However nothing moves. Suggestions?

What is the OEM source for the power window parts? How about the heater controls?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

John in New Hampshire

John, I e-mailed you twice. Did you get my reply? Would be glad to help.

For the power window, pull up on the center console and switch the plug from the drivers switch to the passenger switch and then try the window. If it works the switch is bad. If not you will have to pull the door panel to get access to the wiring and motor. Mine just needed the wire plugin and ground cleaned. If needed the motors are available from any good parts store, I'll have to find the part#.

Is the wiper motor turning? If so it could just be that the wiper transmission has become loose or disconnected from the motor.

The heater/AC controls are a nightmare. The head is a Crysler unit. The slide has a cable that connects to a heater control valve located in one of the heater hoses. The rest is vacuum controlled so check your vacuum lines to the engine first.

Some sites to get info;

http://patriot.net/~jonroq/rjavII.html

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/avanti/

Look under files for PDF on Kelly ac controls.

Good luck

Jim

I'm new to this forum and haven't quite got it figured out yet, but I need some help. I just bought an '87 Avanti which runs and drives well, handles well, etc. However the interior is thrashed. The driver's power window wont operate, the heater/ac/vent controls are broken (the fan works), and the wipers wont go.

I think the wiper motor is working as the volt meter jumps up and down when I turn them on. However nothing moves. Suggestions?

What is the OEM source for the power window parts? How about the heater controls?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

John in New Hampshire

Thanks Jim

I did get your emails but was unsure the protocol for replys. Kinda new to this.

I think the wiper motor is working but something is jammed somewhere. The drivers door window motor also works, it went down but not up and was out of the track. even trying to pull it up just resulted in a grinding noise, like a gear not quite messing. Will have to dismantle everything.

thanks

John

• 3 weeks later...

I did a lot of work on the HVAC controls of my '87. I searched salvage yards for the corect control panel. I never found an exact match, but I used the controls from an early 80s Chrysler New Yorker. The unit is basically the same with a couple of exceptions. The temp control lever on the Chrysler unit is diffrent than the lever on the Avanti unit. It's simple to exchange the two. Also, the electrical connections are different; the Avanti has three connections while the New Yorker has four. I made an adaptor, and it works well. The vacuum connections are different as well. I have found that the New Yorker controls work better than my stock controls ever did. I now have more control over air flow and the car now gets cooler/warmer more quickly. Of course that may be due to the fact that my vacuum lines were not fitted properly when I got the car, but, in any case, the system is much better now.

Rod

I did a lot of work on the HVAC controls of my '87. I searched salvage yards for the corect control panel. I never found an exact match, but I used the controls from an early 80s Chrysler New Yorker. The unit is basically the same with a couple of exceptions. The temp control lever on the Chrysler unit is diffrent than the lever on the Avanti unit. It's simple to exchange the two. Also, the electrical connections are different; the Avanti has three connections while the New Yorker has four. I made an adaptor, and it works well. The vacuum connections are different as well. I have found that the New Yorker controls work better than my stock controls ever did. I now have more control over air flow and the car now gets cooler/warmer more quickly. Of course that may be due to the fact that my vacuum lines were not fitted properly when I got the car, but, in any case, the system is much better now.

Rod

Great work. Thanks for the info.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All - I recently purchased a 1987 all white convertible. All is fine accept 2 initial issues. I am looking for a supplier for the window on and off switches? Washer fluid container is cracker and also looking to replace that before I attempt to repair. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Located in Maryland and I do not see a local group - anyone out there every have a get together?

Have a great day - Warren

Hi Warren...

Welcome to the group.

Where in Maryland are you? I live in Frederick. I have an '02 Avanti convertible and am in the process of buying a '70 Avanti. I should have it soon. Joe and Judy Menacker in Martinsburg, WV have an '82 or '83 (I forget which).

There used to be the National Capital Chapter of AOAI but it has been inactive for some time now from what I understand. It's good to know of another Avanti owner in the area.

I can't help you with your search for the parts you want. I'm not familiar enough with the late '80s models to know what the switches look like or where you might find replacements. Maybe you can adapt some more or less universal type rocker switches.

Bruce Blum

Frederick, MD

Hi Bruce - at this time, our 87 is in chevy chase maryland. probably will move it to the Luray, va. area where we also have a 53 slightly custom buick convertible named gracie. Maybe the 3 of us including the folks from martinsburg can get together sometime. Hope all is great with you- warren

Hi All - I recently purchased a 1987 all white convertible. All is fine accept 2 initial issues. I am looking for a supplier for the window on and off switches? Washer fluid container is cracker and also looking to replace that before I attempt to repair. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Located in Maryland and I do not see a local group - anyone out there every have a get together?

Have a great day - Warren

Check with Nostalgic Motor Cars, I purchaced a washer tank for my '87 from them. I believe they have the window switches also.

http://www.avantiparts.net/default.htm

Jim

Jim - Thanks for the info - They did not have the window switch but did have a washer tank for a 85 - not sure if this is the same for a 87 but they are trying to research. Have a great day - warren

I purchased one for my '87 because the plastic around the bolts had cracked. It was PN# 1701503 Washer bottle. Fit perfect. B)

Jim