Convertible top seals

pantera928

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I changed the seal on my '88 Avanti Convertible about 2015.  I compared the profile of the Avanti seal with ones that I found online for universal automotive weather seals and it worked out fine. 

On the old seal, I found the number 7659, but I don't remember if that was helpful.  Here are pictures:

1925248615_originalandnewtopseals.thumb.jpg.a64810293c4906fdf8dd1287c0ae1517.jpg

Here are the seals profiles:

887262890_sealprofilesoldLandnewR.thumb.jpg.09b228bc14ca3af17bf8d80a23418c48.jpg

Original seal on left, replacement on right.  The original had a zigzag reinforcement wire running inside it and the new seal was stiffer than the original.

I believe the vendor was Classic Industries (800 854-1280), but I couldn't tell by their website when I looked tonight.    Looking back, I saw an email from them in 2015, but it simply said that their tech would be in touch with me.  Seems like they provided me with a way to look at profiles of the seals they carry.  Other vendors may help you find an appropriate seal.  I don't remember if I asked for a sample piece from the vendor before ordering.  I'm surprised that I didn't find the invoice in my Avanti files, I'm usually pretty "retentive" about such things since all of my cars are "odd" and I tend to keep them a long time.

I forgot to mention, I need the forward seal on my Avanti quarter windows.  I suspect that Avanti Motor Corp "borrowed" this seal from a regular production car, but I don't know which one (Renault? LeBaron?).  This is a rubber seal held on to the quarter window by a metal flange.  The door window closes against it.  If anyone can give me a lead on finding this seal, I'd be very appreciative.

445866252_quarterwindowseal.thumb.jpg.82e768c69eaa2ea33a5d548e559094bb.jpg

Is it at all possible this is from the original Monte Carlo seal used by 87-88 Avanti Coupes that has been strategically 'cut'?

• 3 months later...

Call Dan Booth at Nostalgic.  He has said in the past, send in the old seals and he will match them sending you back the new ones. Call to see if that's still his policy.

• 5 weeks later...

I found this 

From Avanti Magazine Issue 187 Summer/Fall 2019 article by Curtis Fischbach AOAI Michigan member.

The 1987, 1988, 1989, and 1991 Avanti convertibles have many common parts.

The hydraulic power unit is from the 1987-1989 Chevrolet Cavalier (Pontiac Sunbird). It was produced by the Power Systems Division of Dura Corporation. Dura Corporation became the Dura Convertible Systems Division of Wickes Companies, Inc. Wickes, later Collins and Aikman, was liquidated in bankruptcy in 2007. Rebuilt replacement units are available in the aftermarket.

The header, or Number One bow, is a sand casting, produced by Total industries, Inc., of South Bend. Those headers were made in batches. After the production completed, Total Industries, Inc. kept the mold for many years, but no additional pieces were ever made.

The latch assemblies mounted in the header were from ASC, Inc., of Southgate, Michigan. The handles were shortened since the Avanti was narrower than the cars ASC, Inc. had made them for. Most of these latch parts could be found in the Renault Alliance convertibles.

The side rail assemblies, those convertible geometry devices that make the convertible fold, are 1987-1989 Chevrolet Cavalier units, shortened at the front to fit the Avanti and its header.

The remaining bows were again the 1987-1989 Chevrolet Cavalier bows, cut in the middle, shortened to fit the Avanti, and welded back together.

The side quarter windows, between the front door glass and the convertible, were 1987-1989 Chevrolet Cavalier quarter glass along with the seal that meets the front door glass.

The seals across the header and along the window line were aftermarket seal material, fashioned to match the seal designs used in the 1987-1989 Chrysler Le Baron and 1987-1989 Chevrolet Cavalier.

The seal carriers for the side windows were from the Chevrolet Cavaliers as well.

I don't know if this is correct or not. While working on my 1985 Avanti convertible, I found an old reference, from Brooksie where he said the roof rail weatherseal for 1987 - 1989 convertibles is carried from Steele Rubber. I haven't checked this out, as my '85 is a different in a lot of ways from the later ones.

70-1035-99

1" Sponge Rubber Extrusion

George Rohrbach