Color of felt in Avanti vanity

Nelson

Well, believe it or not, this was intended as a genuine question. I see some saying red felt was correct but I can’t remember anything but black. However, I had an Avanti with a black felt that turned red with age. I always wondered how that would happen. An artist/photographer friend of mine explained that blacks contain a lot of red dye and wasn’t surprised that the black felt would fade to red. Anyone out there that really remembers red felt when the cars were young?

7 hours ago, Nelson said:

Well, believe it or not, this was intended as a genuine question. I see some saying red felt was correct but I can’t remember anything but black. However, I had an Avanti with a black felt that turned red with age. I always wondered how that would happen. An artist/photographer friend of mine explained that blacks contain a lot of red dye and wasn’t surprised that the black felt would fade to red. Anyone out there that really remembers red felt when the cars were young?

Hey that's interesting!...I'm pretty sure I've seen the red felt..but never  considered it was caused by a natural fading process......Factory black felt seems to make more sense though!

14 hours ago, Nelson said:

What was the original color of the felt in the 63&64  Avanti vanitys?

Of my three '64 Avantis: (1) R-5255 - black; (2) R-5407 - burgundy; (3) R-5523 - black

So now we need to chase down just at what serial numbers Studebaker changed from black to burgundy, then back to black.

--Dwight