Rear Axle Ratio

Zedman

I have gotten around to cleaning up the Rear Axle of my 1981 Avanti II and was  curious about the ratio of the gears.

448950887_Sunday11Dec224.RearAxleRatioTag.thumb.JPG.9c1f39f33fb1799fee78ea78d8e9dc12.JPG

It appears I have a 2.72 : 1 pair which I was, frankly, happily suprised to see.  I would welcome some feedback about how 'economical' this gearing will be with a stock 305 ci motor in good condition- particularly on highway cruises.  Any info?

Whassat?....

• No, I don't wanna swap it for a 350..... N
  • "If I'm gunna drive an Avanti why should I care about fuel consumption"- well I'm curious, that's all  J  and....
  • Would be nice to have a point of reference if I make "slight modifications" in future (camshaft, exhaust system, carb, Distributor, et al...)

Regards

RQB3263/81/305 .... YES YOUR AND MY 81 BOTH ARE 2.72 .....for a cruiser that is perfect .... I installed a 700r4 overdrive trans many yrs ago and my 305 (cammed and depolluted)  rarely sees 2000 RPM  .... perfect... now can you tell me what is the rear end?   DANA 44 OR DANA 60... IM NOT SURE AND WANT TO INSTALL rear disc brake kit ..in the spring time for  sure ...HAPPY CRUISING ... BILL

IMG_8577.jpg

IMG_2391.jpg

My '83 Avanti 'everyday driver' has that same 2.72 ratio...I thought it would be a slouch off the line, however, since the 700R4 trans has a very low first gear ratio, acceleration has been more than adequate.

Since the 700R4 has overdrive and a lockup converter, the final drive ratio is no doubt EXTREMELY tall!

4 hours ago, wildfelr said:

RQB3263/81/305 .... YES YOUR AND MY 81 BOTH ARE 2.72 .....for a cruiser that is perfect .... I installed a 700r4 overdrive trans many yrs ago and my 305 (cammed and depolluted)  rarely sees 2000 RPM  .... perfect... now can you tell me what is the rear end?   DANA 44 OR DANA 60... IM NOT SURE AND WANT TO INSTALL rear disc brake kit ..in the spring time for  sure ...HAPPY CRUISING ... BILL

Bill

I see you asked whether your rear axle is a Dana 44 or a 60. If it's the original it's a 44 as the 60 is generally a bit larger overall and not used originally in the Avanti AFAIK.

Here's some reference. https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/129-1007-dana-44-dana-60-axle-anatomy/

Just for the record, it's a Dana 44 and without another tag on the cover, I'm assuming its not a Twin Traction. I was wondering how an overdrive would go with the 2.72:1 but it appears that is Ok by you guys.  Any MPG figures?  Thanks for the feedback. 👌

RQB3263/305 ... Good MORNING from North AMERICA ...  Thanks for the info .... the 700R4 OD works fine with the 305 .... I did de-pollute it completely, installed an RV torque Cam, and true SS dual exhaust...it almost never sees 2000RPM, 70MPH is 1850RPM.... everything helps a little bit.... and it all works fine to make a pleasurable cruiser... keep up the good work .....BILL in FL

13 hours ago, wildfelr said:

RQB3263/305 ... Good MORNING from North AMERICA ...  Thanks for the info .... the 700R4 OD works fine with the 305 .... I did de-pollute it completely, installed an RV torque Cam, and true SS dual exhaust...it almost never sees 2000RPM, 70MPH is 1850RPM.... everything helps a little bit.... and it all works fine to make a pleasurable cruiser... keep up the good work .....BILL in FL

Hi Bill- thanks for the info.  I have RQB 3269 and I note that our two cars were "close on the line" as if it were. I'm keen to go to a proper dual exhaust system and lose the Catalytic converter, but laws in my state are a bit contradictory on that score (might have to add two small ones if I'm forced to have 'em). The possibility of the 'soft cam' problem is an unknown at present so since I will be replacing the Timing gear and Chain, I reckon the Camshaft and Lifters will be swapped out for new ones too.  Air pollution gear needs to be retained as a matter of law over here, but ya never know....

RQB3263/81/305..... MY ALL SS exhaust was installed by Myers Studebaker in Ohio ...I believe they get them from Ontario Canada.... Keep up the good work ....Happy Holidays ! .....BILL

2 hours ago, wildfelr said:

RQB3263/81/305..... MY ALL SS exhaust was installed by Myers Studebaker in Ohio ...I believe they get them from Ontario Canada.... Keep up the good work ....Happy Holidays ! .....BILL

Probably sourced from Don Simmons at Silvertone  Exhaust. I put a set of his 2 1/4" SS exhaust on my 83 Avanti and they are well made and fit very well. I went with the complete dual exhaust system eliminating the cross over pipe.

http://www.studebakervendors.com/silverto.htm

My write up - https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/tech-talk/43720-avanti-stainless-silvertone-exhaust-installation-length-and-picture-warning

Edited by Avanti83

RQB3263/81/305 .... THAT SOUNDS LIKE EXACTLY WHAT I HAD INSTALLED ...perfect.... and it gave me the opportunity to to easily drop the oil pan for cleaning,  inspection, paint and new gasket..... after 41 yrs overdue.... it was surprisingly clean ...almost no crud ... see you all on the boulevard.... BILL