Earl Shwepinheiser

Nelson

I’m sure I screwed up the spelling of Earl’s last name but l remember he had a 63 gold/tangerine 4speed Avanti with about 3500 miles on it a lonnnng time ago. Since we are all doing some reminiscing on Avantis from the past, I’m wondering what happened to Earl and what happened to that Avanti. Anybody remember the owner or the car?

I remember seeing this car I think in 1972 at the South Bend meet. At that time it was considered brand new and there were hardly any miles on it, still had the new car smell etc. think I have pictures of it somewhere. I believe the fellow’s name was Elmer not Earl.

8 hours ago, Nelson said:

I’m sure I screwed up the spelling of Earl’s last name but l remember he had a 63 gold/tangerine 4speed Avanti with about 3500 miles on it a lonnnng time ago. Since we are all doing some reminiscing on Avantis from the past, I’m wondering what happened to Earl and what happened to that Avanti. Anybody remember the owner or the car?

Yes, I recall the name, and I did hear about that Avanti (he lived in Pennsylvania I think?) and his last name Shwepenhauser?

Like mox  mentioned, the car was described as " as new" and Earl? had it up for sale ...(mid eighties?)

That Avanti was mentioned in early issues of Avanti Topics several times...including an eventual for sale ad.

Yes, Elmer is correct and Factoryville, Pa also hits the right note.  Hard to believe a new Avanti only gets a second place at a national meet. Hell, his car was what every restored car is trying to be. I’ve seen this same thing before though. That’s one reason I never would bother having a car judged.

Anybody know what happened to Elmer or the car?

18 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Yes, Elmer is correct and Factoryville, Pa also hits the right note.  Hard to believe a new Avanti only gets a second place at a national meet. Hell, his car was what every restored car is trying to be. I’ve seen this same thing before though. That’s one reason I never would bother having a car judged.

My Avanti got first place.

54027104_Scan_20221212(2).jpg.58e735747f8d1dab10f03b6be5207eec.jpg

Scan_20221212.jpg.4c49406da5b2ae56ebca729500433516.jpg

2 hours ago, Nelson said:

He passed away in September of 2014 at 90 years old. No idea about his car

22 hours ago, Nelson said:

Bob. You must have had an unbelievably nice Avanti. Was it restored back then or really kept up? Do you remember what was bad about Elmer”s car that would lose points?

I have owned the Avanti since 1965. It was repainted in 1966 because of defects in the factory paint. Other than replacing maintenance items it is mostly original with less than 29,000 miles.

Without seeing the judging form I have no idea as to why he lost points.

18 hours ago, mfg said:

Odd that an Avanti with 'mag' wheels installed would place ahead of a completely stock model...I agree that having cars judged can lead to ulcers!!

This was before changes were made and more classes were added.

Cars entered in the stock class after the change lost 4 points for custom wheels.

This happened to me in 1976 at the SDC International Meet in Indianapolis. 194 out of 200 minus 4 for the Cragar wheels for total of 190.

1 hour ago, regnalbob said:

I have owned the Avanti since 1965. It was repainted in 1966 because of defects in the factory paint. Other than replacing maintenance items it is mostly original with less than 29,000 miles.

Without seeing the judging form I have no idea as to why he lost points.

This was before changes were made and more classes were added.

Cars entered in the stock class after the change lost 4 points for custom wheels.

This happened to me in 1976 at the SDC International Meet in Indianapolis. 194 out of 200 minus 4 for the Cragar wheels for total of 190.

I thought they were Cragars, but couldn't be sure from photo...

Cragars are the 'classic ' mag wheel.