Gas tank filler hose for 87 Convertible rotted

Jim S

The rubber hose between the filler tube and the tank is rotted on my 87 convertilbe.  This model year the filler is on the top of the trunk and not the fender.  Can I use a cut piece of radiator hose to replace? Or do I need a special hose impervious to gasoline?  I  don't think I could find an original replacement hose.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Jim S said:

The rubber hose between the filler tube and the tank is rotted on my 87 convertilbe.  This model year the filler is on the top of the trunk and not the fender.  Can I use a cut piece of radiator hose to replace? Or do I need a special hose impervious to gasoline?  I  don't think I could find an original replacement hose.  Thanks.

I would never use radiator hose for fuel service. If the line is straight there are many sizes of alcohol resistant hose available by the foot at most any FLAPS or even Ebay. That's what I did on my 74 Avanti.

Edited by Avanti83

RQB3263/81/305..... BEEN THERE DONE THAT....  please check my previous posts to see haw I fixed it permanently... do not use radiator hose. here is one pic....I have extra material if you need it.....BILL

IMG_1665 - Copy.JPG

RQB3263 81/305  welding mod finished except for re assembly tomorrow I hope.....pic attached.....total cost inc. gas and damned good lunch for two  in Ocala approx $85.....everything is 2" now and  I dont ever expect to have to mess with it again (life time guarantee)  .....BILL

Awesome!  I like it.  I will definately go that route if I can't find the hose.  Bob Ziff may have one for me.  He'll let me know.  Thanks all.

Problem solved!  All I needed was 3" of tank filler hose which I got at Oreilly's.  My filler neck was only 2" long and 2" in diameter which was the same as the tank.   Apparently, the convertibles are different. 

RQB3263/81/305 ...... NO NOT necessary to remove the tank...... but you do need to be squirmy enough to get into the back seat.... I had a friend do mine .... 30 minutes round trip.... fixed forever....

No, I did not need to remove the tank.  In the convertible, the tank comes out through the trunk and the filler is on top instead of the fender.

I'm thinking I may need to drop the tank as I feel the fuel pump in the tank is failing. I was wondering if you had to drop the tank as I was going to ask how hard it was to do. Looks from my first look, need to drop the exhaust for access.