P/N 1701162 Temp Knob - What Does It Fit?

r1lark

I have a NOS temperature knob that I "think" is from an Avanti II....... maybe for the air conditioning? The p/n on the bag is 1701162. This came as part of a bunch of Studebaker parts, but I'm not knowledgeable at all on the post-Studebaker Avantis. Can anyone help with an application for this p/n? A picture is attached. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

IMG_20221129_101730555.thumb.jpg.4d98ba550dc8a69eb7ea2c55ef46823d.jpg

It’s not a Studebaker part but one sourced by Avanti Motors…sometime from the mid-70s or ‘80s.  I may have some lists that give a more accurate time frame but I don’t have access to it at the moment.

One way to tell whether a part is originally a Studebaker part and still used by Avanti Motors is the part number…most Studebaker parts numbers began with “15xxx” and parts sourced later for changes by Avanti Motors were “17xxx”.

Avanti Motors would change parts for several reasons…a genuine improvement…they ran out of original Studebaker parts…a changed forced by government requirements…forced by circumstances such as General Motors changing engine and drivetrain specs.

Edited by Gunslinger