Wanted Avanti Brake Booster 1963 - 1971

Fourward

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Avanti power brake booster Is a Bendix unit also used on 1966 to early 1970s Mopar B-body cars.  Make sure you get one with four mounting bolts for the master cylinder.  

1 hour ago, 64studeavanti said:

Can you confirm that? According to a previously posted trivia question the only one to fit is for a 69 Daytona with 426 Hemi.

Here is one I bought last year from someone on Marketplace for 60s/70s Mopar.   Exact same booster. 

1 hour ago, 64studeavanti said:

Can you confirm that? According to a previously posted trivia question the only one to fit is for a 69 Daytona with 426 Hemi.

59674695_10216056875027234_3501876588083937280_n.jpg59913063_10216056865907006_4412730166770401280_n.jpg

That kinda looks like the Bendix 6945 that is the source of all my problems. It was on the car running and driving. The next owner disassembled it and sold it to me. When I went to put it on the pushrod jams up against the firewall so tight that I didnt want to do that. There is a picture of it on Johnstones site, Avanti number 4788. You can see that the booster is attached with the bolts just catching the threaded studs. 

The one Lew posted looks similar to the one used on Stude Avanti and early Avanti II. The one in the picture on Bob's site looks like one used on later Avanti.

As near as I can tell, the ones that fit the mopar b bodies are 8". The ones for the Avanti and Hemi mopars are 8 3/4". Both are dual diaphram. If it fits, the 8" may give a little less boost, but should work. Would be interesting to find out as they are readily available from several sources such as Pirate Jack and Summit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2023 at 5:47 PM, 64studeavanti said:

Not sure where you came up with the "426 Hemi" only info?

My friend's '69 Dodge Daytona has that same brake booster, and it's powered by a 440 Magnum.

Edited by mfg
added text

37 minutes ago, mfg said:

My friend's '69 Dodge Daytona has that same brake booster, and it's powered by a 440 Magnum.

the ad posts that it was from Mopar, and I've seen this same booster on other Mopars from the late 1960s to at least early 1970s, Challengers, Chargers and super birds, mostly.

Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 9.46.56 AM.jpg

6 minutes ago, lschuc said:

the ad posts that it was from Mopar, and I've seen this same booster on other Mopars from the late 1960s to at least early 1970s, Challengers, Chargers and super birds, mostly.

Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 9.46.56 AM.jpg

Right..Chrysler seems to have used this style booster on several of their 'B' (and big block equipped 'E') models.

Some of these cars utilized four piston front brake calipers, and needed plenty of boost!

While it fits the internal valving may be different between what's correct for the Mopar and a Studebaker.  When I had the '70 I owned rebuilt and a different booster and master cylinder installed the supplier wanted the specs for the car...weight...horsepower, etc. to get the right application.  I'm guessing so there's no overboost or underboost issues.

That applies mostly to the type and rating of the master cylinder.  The brake booster is simply a vacuum canister to help apply brake pressure.

8 hours ago, mfg said:

This bit of info came from an answer to a trivia question on this forum. FWIW, the poster goes by lschuc and confirmed by mfg.

https://aoai.org/forums/topic/5202-avanti-daytona/

In any case,  it is good to know that we do not need to spend a lot of money getting the Avanti boosters rebuilt.

Edited by 64studeavanti

On 2/25/2023 at 5:08 PM, lschuc said:

Here is one I bought last year from someone on Marketplace for 60s/70s Mopar.   Exact same booster. 

59674695_10216056875027234_3501876588083937280_n.jpg59913063_10216056865907006_4412730166770401280_n.jpg

You purchased the brake booster for a 60s/70s Mopar? Have you installed it yet? It should have a different bolt pattern that is not compatible to the Studebaker and therefore will need fabricating. Maybe post a picture of it mounted and connected in your original Studebaker.

Uhh, I still need a core 1963 Avanti brake booster to send to Studebaker International to get a rebuilt one. I now have a 68 or 69 New Yorker brake booster, doesnt fit, and a Bendix 6945 which Ive installed with a fabricated mount which I am not happy with, I dont have the lines installed and that is holding up my engine installation. Does anyone have a core for sale???

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 3:04 PM, Fourward said:

Uhh, I still need a core 1963 Avanti brake booster to send to Studebaker International to get a rebuilt one. I now have a 68 or 69 New Yorker brake booster, doesnt fit, and a Bendix 6945 which Ive installed with a fabricated mount which I am not happy with, I dont have the lines installed and that is holding up my engine installation. Does anyone have a core for sale???

Hi this is Jerry, did you ever find a 1963 Avanti brake booster? I have one for sale.

I 'll buy it, $50 plus shipping, as agreed. Could you ship it to Studebaker International, that is where its going anyway, I need it as a core for a rebuilt one. I have your address, just let me know how much for shipping, I'll send a check.