Rear disc brakes

BillyBob

I'm looking at adding disc brakes on the rear of my 1963 R1, standard shift.  What to watch for?

Edited by BillyBob
did not edit

I put the complete front and rear kit from Turner Brakes on mine and at the same time changed to flanged axles.  Are you also planning on switching to a dual master cylinder?  An adjustable proportioning valve will allow you to dial in the right amount of pressure between the front and rear brakes. Are you keeping the stock front brakes or changing them out as well? 

You will have to shorten the emergency brake cable.  I found it difficult to find a place that would put a new ferrule on the cable, luckily a neighbor just happened to have the tools and we got it done.  I also needed to bend the rear hard brake lines (I got new ones from Inline Tube) as they were a little long.  The kit is really well done and has good directions.  Take your time and test fit everything and make sure you read all the instructions before starting and you will be successful. You may also have to change wheels depending on what you are running now.  My car has some 15 inch I believe Ford Ranger wheels the previous owner put on and they clear no problem.  I am going to use 16 inch Rocket Racing wheels and they clear no problem.

This is a take your time, test fit and read the instructions kind of project that is not that difficult.  Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

Tom

RQB3263/81 ..... I will be watching this one as I would like to install discs on the rear of RQB3263 .... SO FAR i HAVE NOT FOUND A DIRECT BOLT IN REPLACMENT ....

I do not want to change the whole rear end and loose my 2.72 rear gear ......"see ya on the boulevard"

I spoke with Turner in Indy last year.....and his kit will not fit my 81.... something about the number of bolts  holding the backing plate etc  ....4 may work.... 5 will not ...i got 5... so for right now i am SOL with Turner....... SO KEEP IN Touch..... and Ill see you all on the boulevard....