1983 produced?

GaryBe

Good day Folks. I'll be taking delivery of my new (to me) 1983 Avanti on Friday. I'm very excited, to say the least.

I'm going to have a "Show board" made and was wondering if anyone knew the exact number of 1983's produced?

John Hull's book has it as 212 (187 + 25 = 212) and GEOFFC312 on another post on this forum said from his "Source" Avantisource.com, which is no longer a viable website, I believe, has it at 289.

So, who's correct and why the discrepancy?

Also, since John's book breaks it down even further stating; 1983 = 187 (RQB-3590 thru RQB-3776) and 1983 = 25 (RQB-3801 thru RQB-3825) and my VIN is RQB-3691, can I safely say that it's 1 of 187 produced or use the "total produced" number, which ever that is?

Thanks for your help.

I have 3771 and to avoid the extreme mental anguish of the exact number I’ve just been saying that there were just over 200 made in 83. I spend more time explaining that it wasn’t built in Canada and it isn’t a replica kit car!  Mike

11 hours ago, Footer said:

I have 3771 and to avoid the extreme mental anguish of the exact number I’ve just been saying that there were just over 200 made in 83. I spend more time explaining that it wasn’t built in Canada and it isn’t a replica kit car!  Mike

I was thinking of making a handout. A one sheet summary so that i do not have to keep explaining.🤣

12 hours ago, mfg said:

I don't know the exact number..however I'd like to welcome you to the '83 Avanti club...I've been driving mine, RQB 3655, for twenty eight years now!....ENJOY!!

Thanks for the welcome Ed. I appreciate it. Got a pic or 2 of your 83?

On 10/12/2022 at 4:16 PM, Bill Hanlon said:

When you finish your show board please share for us less creative types.

Will do.

3 hours ago, A83 said:

On the AOAI site at Avanti.com they have bar charts showing all the years with the production numbers and list 289 for 1983.  

Good luck with your car.

Thanks for the info A83.

19 hours ago, regnalbob said:

That number is 1983 calendar year production, not 1983 model year production.

Thanks for your input Bob. Could you please explain further?

On 10/21/2022 at 6:36 PM, regnalbob said:

The 289 production number is not the total for 1983 Avantis.

It is the total production number for 1983 & 1984 Avantis built in calendar year 1983.

Thanks again for breaking it down Bob.

So, with what you stated, should I or Can I go with the production of the 1983's as 187 or 212?

I don't mean to nit-pik, but was just wanting to get as accurate as possible.

Thank you.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I have always had the impression that the model year of Avanti IIs was sort of a flexible concept.  The company pretty much followed industry practice; that is, they introduced the new model year cars around September or October of each year.  However, they often also made running changes during the year, and sometimes actually finished cars out of model year order.  In addition, it should be noted that federal regs and laws that mandated certain features on new models almost always became effective on January 1, so a company could keep building the prior model year's car right up until December 31.  Of course, such a practice would be contrary to good salesmanship.  Nowadays, the federal emissions and safety reg have made changing the model year of a vehicle a federal offense -- but it was not always so.  In fact, for many years, Studebaker allowed dealers to sell new, unused trucks to be titled as the next later model year.