red light on the instrument panel

pantera928

While driving this evening, I noticed the small red light in the top center of the instrument panel come on.

I always thought this was just a choke indicator but then I noticed that the ammeter was reading negative.

Well, I got home and checked the charge circuit and sure enough, 11.8 volts.

So how does this light come on when the alternator stops charging?

Any ideas?

Thanks

I thought that was the high beam indicator. I don't have a working one, and assumed I need to get in there and change the bulb, so I will be interested in  finding out what it really is.

6 hours ago, Ron Dame said:

I thought that was the high beam indicator. I don't have a working one, and assumed I need to get in there and change the bulb, so I will be interested in  finding out what it really is.

Your high beam indicator should be on your speedometer. It is blue on mine

1 hour ago, silverstude said:

this may help

10-SIc2.jpg

Great diagram. Much better than what I have. Thanks.

Went to my favorite old school alternator and starter rebuilder and I guess after 42 years, the alternator gave up

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/27/2022 at 7:00 AM, Ron Dame said:

Also note that the "generator" light bulb must be of the proper resistance. Too little and it will light up at any small difference between the voltage seen from the battery and the voltage seen from the alternator.

• 3 months later...