Fan and clutch loud woosh question

rufcar

When I got my 63 R2 in July the PO said the fan always ran full bore. I checked the feel cold and it was like all my other cars but just in case I got a new one and replaced it. It is still the same. The engine sounds like a huge fan on full high all the time. IT IS NOT THE BLOWER! How do I know that? Because it was the same before I had the blower hooked up. Any suggestions? How does everyone else's R2 sound?

In this videothe engine is cold so you will hear knock sound from lifters. But when warm the sound is much softer. Note that phone records mostly high sound frequencies.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uztyilp7fwc3q3i/AAC8oDcL3kHoGRaIM0XxW9TNa?dl=0

Edited by Leo B

Does it spin freely when you turn it by hand but not roll? Have you installed the fan correctly way (5 blade: the top of the blade turns forward)?
BTW... do you have 5 blade or 6 blade? It has been said that 6 blade makes more noise?

Edited by Leo B

Hi again. I just remember one thing which makes loud sound - Bad Timing Gear.
Also note that Stude Avanti 289 uses aluminium gear which is not the quietest. I had classic Volvo and tested three different timing gears; Fiber, aluminium and steel. Huge differences. Fiber had very soft sound and steel like airplane turbo sound. I think that fiber do not stand 289 power. Aluminium is used also in classic sport Volvos. Steel in race Volvos. Bad and dry timing gear will make very loud sound.
I use Mechanic's Stethoscope to find where the sound comes.

Edited by Leo B

• 3 weeks later...

met several Avanti owners at Hershey. all 3 at the same problem as I. one guy changed his clutch 3 times to no avail the other 2 use a 5 blade original fan and its still very loud. Went for a drive today with the windows closed. All I head is that fan. I think but not sure If I can find a different fan clutch than the ones we buy from Avanti suppliers it might turn even more freely and make less spinning noise. 

When I bought new water pump, cam shaft timing gear, I bought also new fan shroud, belts and this fan clutch and result is normal "noise/music".
https://www.parts123.com/parts123/dyndetail.pta?catalog=0001003a&uKeY=AAECZ

Edit. If you have stethoscope check also sound from timing gear.

Edited by Leo B