Stude Avanti Radiator Surge/Expansion Tank Repair

stewd

Stude Avanti Radiator Surge/Expansion Tank Repair. Like most of us, I have replaced the tank many times over the past 50+ years. I have had and made repairs from most major vendors but the tanks still seem to fail. I do run a 13# cap, etc. My question is: Has anyone used a liquid epoxy sealer/paint and tried to coat the inside of the tank? I know a few engineers that feel this would work and would hold up to the antifreeze/water solution, and the temperature and pressure limits. Also, what rating pressure cap do others run and does this help out the problem?

I have done it, twice. Failed both times. First I tried to solder it. Tried at least 5 times. After that, I tried 2 layers of epoxy...Still leaking. Then, I added an other 3 layers and the #%$%@$%@$ tank still leaks!

I was afraid for the bolt to come loose and create a big leak. So I've made some sort of brace, see picture. All the TLC and still leaking? If you know a solution that involves a complete new tank, i'm in!

IMG_0231.jpeg

IMG_0232.jpeg

3 hours ago, Leo B said:

Please check this topic.

Ask mr Arkus if he still have.

Seen that topic, did not help. My tank was at a professional shop but was leaking soon after. I do not like the plastic surge tank solution but it might be the only option left....

16 hours ago, Kodjo said:

Seen that topic, did not help. My tank was at a professional shop but was leaking soon after. I do not like the plastic surge tank solution but it might be the only option left....

Before I restore my Surge Tank. This looks good to me.😎

makejalava.jpg

Edited by Leo B

I don't see it? It's on the pasenger side of the engine?

My main problem is that a surge tank is an inveriour system over an expansion tank. The latter is mare reliable. But, with my leaking expansion tank, a surge tank is the easiest option: https://www.parts123.com/parts123/dyndetail.pta?catalog=0001003a&uKeY=AANCO

• 2 weeks later...
  1. Regarding the repair, I have purchased years ago 4 damaged, leaking, rusty and crushed tanks. All were sent to Dave Thibeault who returned them like new. He has a contact who takes them apart, hammers out all the expansion and contraction dents, re solders and paints them correct.
  2. I recently sold 1 of the 3 left to an Avanti owner in Miami. He was and is still trilled, even though the purchase was costly.
  3. I strongly suggest contacting Dave Thibeault, he is a wonderful source of information, parts and knowledge. Though he has not helped with me trying to buy another car with my wife, she feels I have enough toys.
  4. Mark

11 hours ago, MARK said:
  1. Regarding the repair, I have purchased years ago 4 damaged, leaking, rusty and crushed tanks. All were sent to Dave Thibeault who returned them like new. He has a contact who takes them apart, hammers out all the expansion and contraction dents, re solders and paints them correct.
  2. I recently sold 1 of the 3 left to an Avanti owner in Miami. He was and is still trilled, even though the purchase was costly.
  3. I strongly suggest contacting Dave Thibeault, he is a wonderful source of information, parts and knowledge. Though he has not helped with me trying to buy another car with my wife, she feels I have enough toys.
  4. Mark

I'll give it a try! Could you give me some more contact info of Dave?

Dave Thibeault 978 897 3158. Studedave@aol.com

13  Nick lane, Maynard,  MA 01754.   His wife is Janet. Best to call in the morning 

I have purchased parts from Dave for at least a decade. A wealth of information 

Mark