I don't know Chevy engines

Ron Dame

RQB3263/81/305....... Attached is pic of access panel  installed in the wheel well  behind the left front tire    It gives easy access to left sparkplugs and steering box adjuster...... panel is attached with small S/S machine screws  (#8 or #10) into clip nuts ...unfortunately it does req. the removal of the L front wheel....best wishes ....keep up the good work ....BILL

IMG_1866.jpg

Bill's solution will work very well. What a lot of us do is just drill a couple holes in-line with #5 & #7 plug large enough to get a socket and long extension through. There are various plugs available to fill the holes if you want but most of us just leave the holes open.

Thanks everyone. I'm used to Studebaker engines, but in close to 50 years of cars, this is honestly the first Chevy engine I've every had, except for a Stovebolt  6 in a truck. I know lots love the SBC, but it doesn't seem to be the best designed engine as far as maintenance goes. At least not in an Avanti II.

I just re-read this... 50 years of cars. Damn I feel old.

It took me two days to figure out getting all the plugs out when I got my Avanti II home.  I got a real shock- " I'll just whip these out and lube the cyls with a squirt of oil and start her up..."   I am naturally "resistant" to anything that 'Butchers' the originality of our cars, but I have to give some creedence to hole-sawing out some nice well placed holes in the skirts one day...🙃