Transmission for 83

GaryBe

Good day everyone. I'd like get a verification, if possible. I'm looking at a 83 and was wondering if it came with a Overdrive transmission?                                                                                  Whether a 700R4 or the 200-4R? It doesn't say on the build sheet, but was wondering, without looking at the actual car, is there a way to know?                                                                      Is it my understanding that all Avantis came with the Overdrive trans for this run?

Thanks  

15 minutes ago, GaryBe said:

Good day everyone. I'd like get a verification, if possible. I'm looking at a 83 and was wondering if it came with a Overdrive transmission?                                                                                  Whether a 700R4 or the 200-4R? It doesn't say on the build sheet, but was wondering, without looking at the actual car, is there a way to know?                                                                      Is it my understanding that all Avantis came with the Overdrive trans for this run?

Thanks  

This should get you started on how to tell the transmissions apart including some visual clues.

https://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/2004r-vs-700r4-differences/

I suspect you have a 700R4 in your 83 as mine also came that way from the factory. Mine now has a 2004R with 4:10 rear gears because I found a killer deal on the 200 a number of years back. If you have a 700R4 and want to switch to a 200 you should also plan on new rear gearing as the ones in the 700 are probably in the 2.7 to 3.0 range.

Remember the 700 was built to get big heavy cars and trucks moving with 2.7 or so rear gearing so they have a low first gear. IMM, that's not a bad deal as long as you know what you are putting together.

A great resource is Bow Tie Transmissions website as they have about all the pertinent info on most GM automatic transmissions over the last 50 years or so. That will let you plan on what you can find and use to put together any combination of drivetrain you may need. 

1 hour ago, pantera928 said:

From 1982 through 1985, all should have AOD transmissions. After 1985, I don't know much about them.

Does the shifter show 1, 2, 3 and D on it?

Yes. it does show 1,2,3,D.

Edited by GaryBe

4 hours ago, GaryBe said:

Yes. it does show 1,2,3,D.

Well, then you have an AOD transmission which is a lot better on the highway. Now which one is the question. Not hard to figure out using the info previously mentioned