Water on passenger side front carpet

pantera928

Well, the car sat outside for a couple of rainy weeks and when I opened it up, I noticed that the passenger side carpet was soaked. I sucked out a lot of the moisture with a shop vac and put a dehumidifier in the car. 

Today, I pulled back the carpet and removed the kick panel and had my wife run hose water all over the car particularly in the cowl vent area, the gap between the cowl and the hood, the passenger door, the right front sun roof drain etcetera while I sat in the car. Nary a drop of water.

THe A/C condensate drain is working fine. The heater valve does not leak(the antifreeze smell would be a give away).

Any ideas?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Kodjo said:

Windshield seal? I'm having the same leak but can't find the source. I thought it was the seal and used a lot of silicon. Still leaks.

Please let me know if you do find a solution!

Well, that got soaked today too. We shall see.

Check to see if you have a small seal at the top of the vent window frame, where the door glass slides up to the top. If it missing you'll get a leak. It's P/N 1328454.

These leaks can be hard to find as the water doesn't always drip straight in; it tends to run along for a ways and then drip.

Another thing that can happen is that leaks can develop between the sunroof drain channel and the roof panel. So, even though water drains out through the drain tubes, some water can make its way from the sunroof drain channel to the underside of the roof, where it will then drip off at some other location. If the drain channel looks at all rusty, probe around with a pick and see if you poke through anywhere. If you do you'll have to remove the rust, clean the metal, treat and seal. 

Good thoughts but all the seals including the ones you mentioned are present and pliable.

All drain channels clear and non-rusty.

FYI, Alfa Romeo spiders use a similar seal where the top of the window glass meets the vent window frame and i have replaced a lot of those over the years as they seem to disappear for some reason.

Thanks

okay so the water appears to be coming in a the lower front corner of the door where it meets up at the kick panel. The rubber pieces up higher on the door and A pillar seemed to be designed to route the water away from the inner part of the A pillar and even though they are in good shape, that is not always happening.

Am thinking of adding a generic rubber seal to the A pillar right where the kick panel edge meets the A pillar and maybe something at the rubber sill plate to seal better.

Have anyone of you tried something like this?

Thanks

I've had to add a few additional pieces of weather seal on mine at a few places. Use a strip of paper about 3" wide and about 12" long, and put it in the door opening at various places and close the door. If you can easily pull the paper out with no resistance, you don't have a tight seal in that area. 

Another spot to check is where the windshield wiper transmission goes through the cowl.  A bad seal there will cause problems.  Also, check for a crack in the fiberglass there, as that has been known to happen.