Scissor Jack Handle

Jim78

I recently discovered that the handle for the scissor jack in my '78 is missing.  All of the replacement handles that I find on line are very short and would be pretty useless for jacking an Avanti.   Is anyone aware of a source for a longer handle? 

It would probably be easier and cheaper to go to Walmart or Pep Boys, Auto Zone or other and simply buy a new scissors jack with its own handle.  They're not expensive.  While it's been some time, I purchased a Mr. Goodwrench scissors jack from Walmart for about $15.00.  It fits in the storage compartment the same as the original.

13 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

It would probably be easier and cheaper to go to Walmart or Pep Boys, Auto Zone or other and simply buy a new scissors jack with its own handle.  They're not expensive.  While it's been some time, I purchased a Mr. Goodwrench scissors jack from Walmart for about $15.00.  It fits in the storage compartment the same as the original.

I have looked at that route, and found the same issue of short handles, as "modern" scissor jacks are intended to go under the body jack points, with the screw perpendicular to the vehicle.  Obviously, that doesn't work on an Avanti.  It looks like my best bet may be to buy a length of 3/8 steel rod and bend my own handle. 

RQB3263/81   i BOUGHT 2 MIL-SPEC scissor jacks new on ebay.... not cheap Chinese crap and then mfg a 3' long handle to match....pics if req..... BILL

RQB3263 .... SCISSORS JACK AND HANDLE .....I have no clue where i got the handle..... the jack (2) I bought on ebay .... I had to modify/adapt the handle to fit the jack ..... good luck

IMG_2314.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

I used the Mr. Goodwrench scissors jack I purchased from Walmart as I said previously.  I don't remember the handle it came with but since I used a donut emergency spare instead of a full-size spare tire I had no problems fitting the jack inside the spare tire well as well as other emergency equipment with room to spare.  

Agree with the aftermarket type but also be aware most new pickups come with scissor jacks and are compact enough to fit under the passenger seat as in the newer Rams.

Those should also fit under the Avanti spare assembly also as the crank comes in several pieces. If you don't like prowling wrecking yards, try Ebay.

Bob

I have what appears to be the original jack.  But, the handle is missing.  Since an Avanti needs to be jacked under the lower control arm or the axle, the screw of the jack is parallel to the car, rather than the typical "modern" jacks which are used at body jack points with the screw perpendicular to the vehicle.  The newer jacks and replacement handles are short since the jack is out where it is accessible when in use.  These short handles would require literally crawling under the Avanti during the jacking process.  The jack that I used with my '63 Avanti was a Sears two-speed scissor that had an extendible handle that was short enough to stow properly, but extended long enough to reach the jack points without getting under the car.   Best bet at this point looks to be to get out the torches and some steel rod and fabricate an extendable handle.  My jack and spare have never been used in 44 years, but it would be my luck to get a flat now that I know that I don't have a jack handle.  😆

RQB3263/81 ..... GET A CRAFTSMAN OR SIMILIER  speed handle and attach homemade extensions ... or just several 3/8 X 12 inch extensions can be hooked together and stored in a small location...... bill