Power steering valve rebuild

rufcar

I want to install new seals in my PS valve but the end cap won't come off. I tried 2 wide flat screwdrivers underneath both sides but its under some type of spring pressure? It does turn easily though. Instructions say remove both screws and remove end cap? Drawings don't show anything specific inside other than the nut and assembly one must remove. ?

Jim

I decided try again but this time I but the screw drivers behind the steel collar and it came off. It took time twisting pulling oiling etc but I was able to finally get the spool valve out. Everything looked good . I washed it all down clean it all out and re-assembled. I still need to install the PS belt as it has not run since 73. All parts have been rebuilt so fingers crossed when I get that far.

• 2 weeks later...

Update after I did the PS valve it appeared to fine and within 2 days it started to leak. I took it apart again (easier this time)and saw I had the front seal in backwards. reassembled, waited a week. Today I installed the PS belt. Fired it up  and The wheel spun out of my hands to the right. I installed the ram lines in reverse. I swapped them out (another 10 min job LOL) all appeared fin. Fired it up and it all works as designed but. under that hard load with the wrong lines I must have blown that new seal as it was again leaking under pressure from the valve front seal. I have spares and I will tackle that again this weekend as tomorrow is Corvettes at Carlisle and its only 40 mi from me. More later. 

I have now changed the front seal 3 times still leaks like a sieve from the pitman arm area. I had it perfect but once I had those ram hoses wrong I cant seem to get it to seal tight. For the record the 1st time I have the deal in backwards and the spool valve slipped right in. Once I reversed it with a new seal I had to slowly tap it it back in with a block or wood. I did add a touch of vasoline to help it slide in.   Why wont it seal properly? I have never mixed up the parts, I always installed the same as the were and they match up to the drawing. Though I did not back it off one flat so is it possible I crushed the seal? 

YES.... MIKE MYER did both the control vlv and actuator for me 5 or 6 yrs ago .... perfect.... if your close drive over to Duncan Falls and giter done ... mike is the mechanic...wont take long .... quality folks.... BILL RQB3263.... 

I understand but it will tie up my lift for a long time. My only option is to remove the PS belt so I can drive the car around and do the job over winter if I dont have any other cars of my collection on the lift. 

If I do that do i need to remove all the new hoses 1st? once I remove the starter will a the standard puller fit in that space to pull off the pitman arm? Tkx

• 3 weeks later...

Sent the valve off to Myers last week. Arrived on Tue. Got it in today. I still have the PS belt to reinstall. Had minor leaks but were from the fittings not being tight enough.

Re routing was a PITA because this time I attached the hoses 1st. Soon I will know! Tkx for all the advice!  jim

The good news is it worked perfectly for 5 miles.  The bad news one line hit pitman arm and tore the line right out of the valve.

I triple checked everything too. New line ordered and new route will be taken. 

That was the 1st good ,everything working miles since 1973. 

All back together and nothing leaking. Went on a 7 mile drive today. The longest drive since 1973! Stopped at my friends Studebaker garage. All the bays have Studebakers in them too! No Avanti's any longer though.  Next is the heat system from scratch. Then hopefully finished. 

Avanti Studi Garage.jpg