Engine Compartment Color

Leo B

Hi, I have R2 1963 Avanti Gray. When I took the engine off and checked very close what the engine compartment color is. I noticed everywhere same gray but not iridescent glossy. I saw the color even very near cluch tunnel. Yes same but more matt than exterior. Looks very original. There is no paint layer under this colour.
Should the compartment color be exact same iridescent avanti gray or more matt like I have?

12 hours ago, Leo B said:

Hi, I have R2 1963 Avanti Gray. When I took the engine off and checked very close what the engine compartment color is. I noticed everywhere same gray but not iridescent glossy. I saw the color even very near cluch tunnel. Yes same but more matt than exterior. Looks very original. There is no paint layer under this colour.
Should the compartment color be exact same iridescent avanti gray or more matt like I have?

I agree with Gunslinger.  I believe the engine compartment was painted when the rest of the body was painted.  One thing I have noticed is that the fiberglass was not finished smooth in the engine comp. -- one can see the strands in the fiberglass.  So, that may account for the lack of gloss that you see.  Also, the painter may not have worried as much about getting a smooth, thick (paint) build in the engine comp. as on the exterior.

--Dwight

There is no doubt that the color of the compartment should match the color of the exterior. I think Dwight is right. Is the primer/base color gray? If so, I think and guess that the metallic/iridescent gray is just a thin layer over primer because the painter didn't see a reason to make it very opaque and a few invisible areas only have primer. It was also Monday and night shift 😊

Edited by Leo B

40 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

The engine bay received body color paint but didn’t get polished…add engine heat to that and it’s no wonder it has no gloss.

👍

Engine bays, and door jambs did not get multiple layers of red oxide lacquer primer. And when they did, they were not wet sanded smooth. That is why you see the strands of the fiberglass. The outside main body got lots of primer, and was sanded.